[comp.windows.x] Problem with twm/InterViews

seindal@skinfaxe.diku.dk (Rene' Seindal) (03/02/89)

Hi,

I have just started using InterViews, and have noticed an annoying thing.
If I start my programs with

	program -geometry WxH

I get a window the requested size, and can place it on the screen using the
window manager.  If instead I say

	program -geometry WxH+X+Y

I get a window, placed at (X,Y), but the window manager doesn't know about it.

I have looked a bit in the source, and in the XLIB docs, but can't see what is
wrong.

Is this an InterViews bug, or have I simply botched everything?

I am using AT&T cfront 1.2, X11.3 (a tape from october 1988), and the
InterViews distribution from this X tape.  I an using a Sun 4, running SunOS
4.0, with the display on a VaxStation2000.  I am using twm, dated from October
18, 1988.

Thanks.

Rene' Seindal (seindal@diku.dk).

calder@interviews (Paul Calder) (03/05/89)

In article <4494@freja.diku.dk>, seindal@skinfaxe (Rene' Seindal) writes:

>I have just started using InterViews, and have noticed an annoying thing.
>If I start my programs with ...
>
>	program -geometry WxH+X+Y
>
>I get a window, placed at (X,Y), but the window manager doesn't know about it.

This is an InterViews bug.  InterViews is currently being brought up
to ICCCM conformance.  This (and other, related bugs) will be fixed in
the next release.  Send mail to interviews-requests@lurch.stanford.edu
to get on to the mailing list for the latest information.

interran@thoreau (John Interrante) (03/05/89)

Twm doesn't know about InterViews windows placed with -geometry
WxH+X+Y because InterViews 2.4 sets override_redirect true on all
windows placed with a position as well as a size.  Window managers
like twm ignore such windows and won't even move them.  Our in-house
version of InterViews now sets override_redirect true only on popup
windows, not transient, toplevel, or application windows.  We've also
made InterViews follow the conventions for setting window properties
on toplevel windows in section 4 of the ICCCM.  We will release
InterViews 2.5 when we've finished the ICCCM changes and we're sure we
can compile it with g++, probably a few weeks from now.

John Interrante (interran@thoreau.stanford.edu)

tim@g4lzv.co.uk (Tim Hawkins) (03/10/89)

The biggest problem I have with interviews is I cant get hold of it..
I am in Europe and am not connected to FTP..

Can Anybody advise me as to the location of a UUCP dial-up site in Europe
where I can obtain a copy.

I am writting a C++ interface to some less popular DOS windowing systems
and I wish to ensure that anything that I write will be compatable with
Xwindows.

As I will be working with DOS it is important that I can get it with the
UUPC package that I have running on my PC..

Sorry about possably inserting this in the wrong place....