[comp.windows.x] Sun 4: Watchdog Reset

paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) (03/04/89)

This is a problem undoubtedly specific to Suns, probably only Sun-4s.  It's not
even X's fault that I can tell.  However, when I run 'xinit', occasionally I
get 'Watchdog Reset', and then a '>' prompt, meaning Unix has been crashed.
The only recourse is to type 'b' (for boot), and wait while the machine
reboots.

This is on a Sun-4/110 running SunOS-4.0 (not 4.0.1).  Has anyone else seen
this, X or otherwise?  It seems to happen on all sorts of programs and is
very annoying!
--
Paul Close	paul@cacilj.CTS.COM 	...!{uunet, ucsd, crash}!cacilj!paul

    The Obi-wan Kenobi method:  "Use the Source, Luke"	-Jim Fulton

cmc3@nvuxr.UUCP (C Chase) (03/10/89)

In article <910@cacilj.UUCP>, paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) writes:
> This is a problem undoubtedly specific to Suns, probably only Sun-4s.

actually ONLY on the 4/110.

> even X's fault that I can tell.  However, when I run 'xinit', occasionally I
> get 'Watchdog Reset', and then a '>' prompt, meaning Unix has been crashed.
> The only recourse is to type 'b' (for boot), and wait while the machine
> reboots.
>
> This is on a Sun-4/110 running SunOS-4.0 (not 4.0.1).  Has anyone else seen
> this, X or otherwise?  It seems to happen on all sorts of programs and is
> very annoying!
> --
> Paul Close	paul@cacilj.CTS.COM 	...!{uunet, ucsd, crash}!cacilj!paul

I agree, it was very annoying (I had the same problem).  Try installing
the OS 4.0.1 patches.  The bug SHOULD go away.  It did for me.
The patch is called bus4_110.  Good luck.

Craig Chase

cmc3@nvuxr.bellcore.com