[comp.windows.x] Installaing X11R3 on Sun 4/110

"hugh_murray.XRCC-NS"@XEROX.COM (03/10/89)

I have just installed X11R3 on a Sun 4/110 running OS 4.0.  The build
seemed to go reasonably well (see below) and things mostly work except for
a couple of irritating points that I have been unable to solve.  This is my
first ever X installation so don't be too harsh if these are obvious
points.

The main problem is that Xsun does not seem to know that I have a color
monitor.  The program constype reports that I have a cg4, but xdpyinfo
insists that I have a single screen, one plane deep.

The second more minor point, but one that makes me suspect that something
deeper may be wrong, is that while all of the other tools in the core that
I have tried seem to work, xedit dies immediately with a segmentation fault
before putting anything on the screen.

The build itself reported only two warnings which I have listed below
because I have no idea whether they are nuisance or serious.

Both warnings seem to be involved in the build of makedepend.  The first is
a compiler warning.

>>  making ../.././util/makedepend/makedepend
>>  cc -O -I ../../.  '-DINCLUDEDIR="/usr/include"'  -sun4 -c  include.c
>>  cc -O -I ../../.  '-DINCLUDEDIR="/usr/include"'  -sun4 -c  main.c
>>  "main.c", line 75:  warning:  illegal pointer combination

The second is a make warning.

>>  depending in ./fonts
>>  depending in bdftosnf
make:  Warning:  Too many rules defined for target
../.././util/makedepend/makedepend

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Hugh Murray
Xerox Research Centre of Canada
Mississauga, Onatrio.    Arpa:   murray.xrcc-ns@Xerox.com

dce@stan.UUCP (David Elliott) (03/11/89)

In article <890310-071049-14911@Xerox> "murray.xrcc-ns:Xerox.com:XEROX.ns"@xerox.com writes:
>The second more minor point, but one that makes me suspect that something
>deeper may be wrong, is that while all of the other tools in the core that
>I have tried seem to work, xedit dies immediately with a segmentation fault
>before putting anything on the screen.

This happens on the Solbourne machines (which are Sun4 compatible
machines), as well, so it sounds like there is a general Sun 4-related
problem here.  Maybe word-alignment?

In a possibly-related area, I noted that the editor widget as used by
xcalendar doesn't recognize keyboard input.  It does recognize mouse
events.  When run under dbx, the editor works fine the first time it is
invoked in a session, but subsequent invocations are broken.

--
David Elliott		...!pyramid!boulder!stan!dce
"Splish splash, I was rakin' in the cash"  -- Eno