[comp.windows.x] Sets of Widgets for X11

jlevy@arisia.Xerox.COM (Jacob Levy) (03/13/89)

Could some kind soul answer these questions for me? I am in the
decision process of writing a major application which will use
one of the C widget-sets for X. I am currently evaluating Athena
and the HP X Widgets. My worry about using the HP widgets is that
support may disappear at any time with future releases of X. Can
anyone reassure me on this? How does one get documentation (at
least..)  for the OSF/Motif set of widgets? How does one get to
actually use these widgets? I also heard rumors about a supposed
set of widgets that DEC is promoting/preparing... Are there any
other sets than the above?  How does one get them (are they PD)?

The confusion in this field is hampering decision making
processes. If you have any information that will help me make a
sane and (possibly) sound decision about which set of widgets to
base my application on, I'd much appreciate your help. Important
factors are availability, a comparison of features and future
support. I will even summarise your replies to the net, as a
return service :-)

Thanks, --Jacob

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (03/13/89)

    My worry about using the HP widgets is that
    support may disappear at any time with future releases of X. Can
    anyone reassure me on this?

You'll have to try and get a response from HP on this one (particularly
if you mean their public widget set that was in R3).

    How does one get documentation (at
    least..)  for the OSF/Motif set of widgets? How does one get to
    actually use these widgets?

You should talk to OSF directly about this to make sure you get correct
information.  My understanding is that Motif is currently only available to
licensed members of OSF.  It won't be until Motif ships ("summer", I think they
say) that the rest of the world can license it.

    Are there any other sets than the above?

Yes, HP has a product version of their widget set, Digital has a widget set as
part of their XUI product, AT&T has a product widget set (implementing
OPEN LOOK), and Sony has a product widget set (also a version in R3 contrib).
There may be others.  Contact those companies directly for info.

ssroy@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Steve Scot Roy) (03/14/89)

In article <8903131359.AA03015@EXPIRE.LCS.MIT.EDU> rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) writes:
>Yes, HP has a product version of their widget set, Digital has a widget set as
>part of their XUI product, AT&T has a product widget set (implementing
>OPEN LOOK), and Sony has a product widget set (also a version in R3 contrib).
>There may be others.  Contact those companies directly for info.

By 'product version' do you mean supported and nominally bug free?  If so,
who do I have to kill to get a copy?  I am REALLY tired of fighting bugs
in not ready for prime time software.  Where do I write to 'Contact these
companies directly'?  Are the appropriate parties listening?  I am willing
to pay for bug free software.

steve roy

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (03/14/89)

    By 'product version' do you mean supported and nominally bug free?

By 'product version' I mean they have a part number and everything, and
you can talk to your sales rep and write a PO for it.  The companies
involved will have to voouch for the nominally bug free part.

    Where do I write to 'Contact these companies directly'?

Talk to one of their sales reps.