[comp.windows.x] Good X Books

paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) (03/20/89)

COuld anyone out there tell me what they consider to be good books on
X Windows?  I am looking for both Reference and Guide type books.

			Thanks,
			Phil Paone
--
Phil Paone
attmail!ppaone

klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) (03/21/89)

In article <Mar.20.08.27.10.1989.2699@aramis.rutgers.edu> paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) writes:

>COuld anyone out there tell me what they consider to be good books on
>X Windows?  I am looking for both Reference and Guide type books.

There are 3 books out on X:

1. Scheifler, Gettys & Newman, *X Window System*, DEC Press, 1988.
2. Jones, *Introduction to the X Window System*, Prentice-Hall, 1988.
3. O'Reilly & Associates, *The Definitive Guides to the X Window System*,
	3 volumes, 1988.

The Scheifler book is an enhanced version of the X11R3 Xlib and protocol
manuals (by the same authors).  It's a good reference, but the other 2
books are probably better for beginners.

I prefer the Jones book.  It's a good introduction to Xlib programming,
including lots of good tips not found in the other books.  The section
on input, the hardest part of any window system to understand, is
especially good.

Some people prefer the O'Reilly books.  Volumes 1 and 2 are on Xlib,
volume 3 describes some of the clients on the MIT tape.  Most of this
material is copied from the X11R2 manuals, although there is some new
introductory material in vols. 1 and 3.

Except for the O'Reilly volume 3, all these books describe only Xlib.
I understand that at least three X Toolkit books are in the works, but
not on the market yet.
--
Ken Lee
Daisy Systems Corp., Interactive Graphics Tools Dept.

meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) (03/21/89)

In article <Mar.20.08.27.10.1989.2699@aramis.rutgers.edu> paone@aramis.rutgers.edu (Phil Paone) writes:

>COuld anyone out there tell me what they consider to be good books on
>X Windows?  I am looking for both Reference and Guide type books.

Xlib:

1) _Introduction to the X Window System_, Oliver Jones (1989, Prentice Hall)

2) _Xlib Reference Manual_ (ed. by Adrain Nye) and _Xlib Programming
   Manual (Adrian Nye) (1988, O'Reilly & Associates)

I am most familiar with the Jones book, which is excellent. It covers
almost everything in detail, and is available for $25-$32 in college
bookstores, and possibly other places.

The O'Reilly manuals are available from O'Reilly & Associates (I have
lost their email address - Tim? Adrian? what is your address?). The
Reference volume is a rehash of the doc available with the X11R2 tapes,
but well done, more readable, and with many holes filled in. The
Programming volume is just that, and seems fine. I have not yet received
my copies of these, but from the little I have seen of borrowed copies,
they are also worth having.

Xt:

Alas. I know (as of yet) of no such animals. However, I know of at least
three books that are due out over the next 6 months, all of which seem
promising. More when allowed.

-Miles O'Neal
(gatech!stiatl!meo)

jas@hpihoah.HP.COM (Jeff Schmidt) (03/22/89)

Try "Xlib Programming Manual for Version 11" by Adrian Nye, O'Reilly &
Associates, Inc.  It explains a lot of concepts and has good examples.
However, this book, (c) 1988, pertains to X11R2.

Jeff Schmidt
Hewlett-Packard Co.
Cupertino, CA