[comp.windows.x] What is "MOTIF"?

ham@polya.Stanford.EDU (Peter R. Ham) (03/22/89)

What is MOTIF?  Is it a:

1) toolkit ?
2) style guide ?
3) collection of widgets

I've heard the name, but have no idea of what it is.

Is it based on the Xtoolkit?

--
Peter Ham			PO Box 3430	(415) 321-5746
MS Computer Science Student	Stanford, CA	ham@polya.stanford.edu

nazgul@apollo.COM (Kee Hinckley) (03/23/89)

In article <HAM.89Mar21194314@polya.Stanford.EDU> ham@polya.Stanford.EDU (Peter R. Ham) writes:

>What is MOTIF?  Is it a:
>
>1) toolkit ?
>2) style guide ?
>3) collection of widgets

Motif is the user interface toolkit being released by the Open
Software Foundation, and being supported by a large number of
workstation/computer vendors (Apollo, DEC, HP, IBM, ISC, SCO,
Nixdorf, MIPS...).  Ship date is this summer, although some
vendors may jump the gun.

It is:
	A Toolkit (X Intrinsics based, DEC's API with syntactic changes)
	A Style Guide (Presentation Manager Behavior, HP's 3D L&F)
	A Window Manager (PM Compatible, from HP)
	A Presentation Description Language (separate compiled description
		language for describing screen layout, DEC's UIL).

There are also a set of "Catalog" technologies currently being
considered that would be based on the core technology.  These
may include Apollo's Open Dialogue UIMS, Swedish Telecom's BASE/OPEN
UIMS, and Groupe Bull's Generic Window Manager.  These would be
available separately (and at least in the case of Open Dialogue) are
available right now from their respective companies.

Specs and code are available to OSF members right now (and specs and
binaries can probably be gotten from your favorite vendor right now).
Specs should be available to the general public this spring, code
in the summer.

					Kee Hinckley
					Apollo Computer
--
### {mit-erl,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!nazgul ###   (Apple ][e ProLine BBS)    ###
###      apollo!nazgul@eddie.mit.edu       ###    nazgul@pro-angmar.uucp    ###