[comp.windows.x] Fonts from R2 in R3

murthy@rati.cs.cornell.edu (Chet Murthy) (03/16/89)

I have two questions about fonts that I thought somebody out there
could probably answer in about 2 seconds, so here goes...

First, is there a way to convert X11R2 fonts into R3 fonts?  The
specific fonts I would like are the "fg" fonts, e.g. "fg-13".

Second, are there any X11R3 fonts available which mimic the Lisp
Machine (symbolics) CPTFONT family?

Thanks in advance,
	--chet--
	murthy@svax.cs.cornell.edu

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (03/17/89)

    First, is there a way to convert X11R2 fonts into R3 fonts?  The
    specific fonts I would like are the "fg" fonts, e.g. "fg-13".

What's the question?  Convert how?  If you have a BDF file, just compile it.
If you have an SNF file, it should actually "just work" with your R3 server,
although recompiling it may produce more reasonable ink metrics.

    Second, are there any X11R3 fonts available which mimic the Lisp
    Machine (symbolics) CPTFONT family?

If you buy the ILA-XWS product from Symbolics, it comes with a utility
for converting LispM fonts to BDF.

dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller) (03/17/89)

In article <8903161607.AA11015@EXPIRE.LCS.MIT.EDU> rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) writes:
>    First, is there a way to convert X11R2 fonts into R3 fonts?  The
>    specific fonts I would like are the "fg" fonts, e.g. "fg-13".
>What's the question?  Convert how?  If you have a BDF file, just compile it.

This person had the same question that I asked before ... I believe the
question is that he has the fonts from R2 that he wants to stick in R3.
I just happen to discover that the fonts directories have files called
fonts.alias and fonts.dir (or something like that).  Just stick the fonts
you want to use in that directory and edit those files to contain the names
of the new fonts you want installed.  I used the "misc" directory -- there
are fonts in there that you can use as an example.  Hint: move the .snf
fonts there.  Note, at the top of the file is a number which lists the
number of fonts in that directory (or at least, listed in that file).
You need to increment that number for each new font.  Finally, you need
to restart your server if you're running it.  If there's an easier way
than what I just described here, please *post it*.. I made this same
request to this newsgroup 3 times and never got a reply either to the
group or to my mail address...

Dan Heller	<island!argv@sun.com>

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (03/17/89)

    If there's an easier way
    than what I just described here, please *post it*

I don't think I ever saw your earlier postings.  All you should have to do
is drop your .snf files into whatever directory you want, and run mkfontdir on
that directory.  You *don't* have to (and *shouldn't*) manually edit the
fonts.dir file.  You *don't* have to restart your server; you can simply do
'xset fp rehash' if you dropped them into directories already in your font
path, otherwise you can do 'xset fp+ <dir>'.

ndd@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Ned D. Danieley) (03/17/89)

In article <11202@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Dan Heller) writes:
>In article <8903161607.AA11015@EXPIRE.LCS.MIT.EDU> rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) writes:
>>    First, is there a way to convert X11R2 fonts into R3 fonts?  The
>>    specific fonts I would like are the "fg" fonts, e.g. "fg-13".
>>What's the question?  Convert how?  If you have a BDF file, just compile it.
>
>This person had the same question that I asked before ... I believe the

(method deleted)

>to restart your server if you're running it.  If there's an easier way
>than what I just described here, please *post it*.. I made this same
>request to this newsgroup 3 times and never got a reply either to the
>group or to my mail address...
>

>Dan Heller	<island!argv@sun.com>

An easier way would be to put the *.snf files in misc, and then
run mkfontdir; this automatically sets up the fonts.dir file for
you. You can then use xset to tell the server about the new fonts.
Note that mkfontdir doesn't make fonts.alias; you have to do that.
Read the man page for mkfontdir.

example: if you put your new fonts in /usr/local/fonts/misc do

	mkfontdir /usr/local/fonts/misc
	xset fp rehash

now xlsfonts should show you the new fonts.

Ned Danieley (ndd@sunbar.mc.duke.edu)
Basic Arrhythmia Laboratory
Box 3140, Duke University Medical Center
Durham, NC  27710
(919) 684-6807 or 684-6942

mpatnode@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Dodger) (03/19/89)

In article <8903171246.AA13255@EXPIRE.LCS.MIT.EDU> rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) writes:

>    If there's an easier way
>    than what I just described here, please *post it*
(I responded to your posting via mail. It must of been lost in the bit-bucket)

>that directory.  You *don't* have to (and *shouldn't*) manually edit the
>fonts.dir file.

Well Bob, you must of had some MIT undergrad student do this for you and
he never told you what was involved.  After running mkfontdir on the R2
fonts the font.dir file will have an extra "." after every R2 font name.
You need to delete this if you want the fonts to work.  I imagine there
was some sort of specification change which was overlooked.

--
Mike "Dodger" Patnode          | (n)   ..csustan!polyslo!mpatnode
Yitbos Innovations Inc.        | (s)   ..sdsu!polyslo!mpatnode

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (03/23/89)

    Well Bob, you must of had some MIT undergrad student do this for you and
    he never told you what was involved.

No, we're a wee bit better than that.

    After running mkfontdir on the R2
    fonts the font.dir file will have an extra "." after every R2 font name.
    You need to delete this if you want the fonts to work.  I imagine there
    was some sort of specification change which was overlooked.

No specification change, just a simple bug in mkfontdir.  We fixed this way
back in November, I thought we sent the fix out, although looking now I don't
see it in xstuff.  We did make a comment back then:

    Right, there is a bug in mkfontdir that causes this when using "old"
    fonts that don't have a "FONT" property.  We'll probably post a fix
    at some point, but the correct thing to do is fix your fonts to have
    a correct FONT property.