[comp.windows.x] Xqvss, Xwd, Xpr, & pbm problem

rauletta@gmu90x.UUCP ( ) (03/13/89)

I have recently built the R3 release of X11
and am having extensive problems with getting Xwd dump
files to print using either Xpr or pbm and I was wondering
if there was a known solution to this problem.

My impression at this point is that the problem may be
with Xwd and machine dependencies with the qvss server,
though this is only a wild guess on my part, as both
parts of Xpr and pbm fail to properly read the dump files.

Suggestions, solutions would be most appreciated.
For reference I'm running on a diskless Vaxstation 2000
with a monochrome VR260 display running Ultrix 2.2.

--Richard Auletta
  rauletta@sitevax.gmu.edu
  ...uunet!pyrdc!gmu90x!rauletta

envbvs@epb6.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (03/16/89)

In article <1824@gmu90x.UUCP> rauletta@gmu90x.UUCP ( ) writes:
	>I have recently built the R3 release of X11
	>and am having extensive problems with getting Xwd dump
	>files to print using either Xpr or pbm and I was wondering
	>if there was a known solution to this problem.
	>
	>My impression at this point is that the problem may be
	>with Xwd and machine dependencies with the qvss server,
	>though this is only a wild guess on my part, as both
	>parts of Xpr and pbm fail to properly read the dump files.
	>
	>Suggestions, solutions would be most appreciated.
	>For reference I'm running on a diskless Vaxstation 2000
	>with a monochrome VR260 display running Ultrix 2.2.

I noticed the same thing; namely, that xipr, which is a shell
script that just does an 'xwd' into 'bitimp' fails to work.

bitimp complains that "window dump file is in bad format".

I wouldn't think that the problem is any machine dependency with the
qvss server, but a more general bug.

Any help out there?

I have a Vaxstation II running Ultrix 2.3 (monochrome Xqvss).
It also gives the same error message on our 4-plane color vaxstation 2000
running Ultrix 3.0 (Xqdss server).

Brian Smith
bvsmith@lbl.gov

swick@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Ralph R Swick) (03/16/89)

> For reference I'm running on a diskless Vaxstation 2000
> with a monochrome VR260 display running Ultrix 2.2.

That configuration is working just fine here.  Perhaps if
you described your symptoms in more detail someone can offer
suggestions.

earle@mahendo.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Greg Earle) (03/19/89)

In article <1824@gmu90x.UUCP> rauletta@gmu90x.UUCP ( ) writes:
>I have recently built the R3 release of X11
>and am having extensive problems with getting Xwd dump
>files to print using either Xpr or pbm and I was wondering
>if there was a known solution to this problem.

I don't know if this is related, but when I do a `xwd' on a color Sun-3/260C
(using the `-xy' option as required for color), the dump file seems to be OK
(a subsequent `xwud' works just fine), but when fed to a resulting
`xpr -density 300 -device ps' the bitmap in the PostScript output is an
all-black window (i.e., all 0's in the bitmap segment of the PostScript).
This happens even when the window which is dumped is black-on-white.

One thing that is confusing in the documentation is that the `xwd' man page
says that one needs to use XYPixmap dump format:

	-xy  This option applies to color displays only.  It
	    selects `XY' format dumping instead of the default
	    `Z' format.

Yet, the `xpr' man page seems to contradict this:

	Multiplane images must be recorded by `xwd' in `ZPixmap' format.
	Single plane (monochrome) images may be in either `XYPixmap'
	or `ZPixmap' format.

(Further clouding the issue is that the above comment comes at the end of
 a section about HP printers.)

Can someone clarify this?  I thought that `xpr' would convert any input
color to an appropriate white/black value ...

--
	Greg Earle			earle@Sun.COM
	Sun Microsystems		earle@mahendo.JPL.NASA.GOV

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (03/21/89)

    `xpr -density 300 -device ps' the bitmap in the PostScript output is an
    all-black window (i.e., all 0's in the bitmap segment of the PostScript).

Right, because xpr is stupidly just choosing a fixed bit plane (usually the
wrong one) to output.

    One thing that is confusing in the documentation is that the `xwd' man page
    says that one needs to use XYPixmap dump format:

    Yet, the `xpr' man page seems to contradict this:

XY and Z are equivalent for 1-bit images, and xpr will eat either.  For
N-bit images, the R3 xpr will only eat XY format.

    I thought that `xpr' would convert any input
    color to an appropriate white/black value ...

It will in R4 (our current internal version does).

gmk@texhrc.UUCP (Gail Kahle) (03/31/89)

This is a test.