[comp.windows.x] Problems with Sun 4/110, OS 4.0

davel@hfserver.hfnet.bt.co.uk (Dave Linton) (03/28/89)

I'm having problems getting X11R3 to run on a Sun 4/110 (Sparc) under OS 4.0

I've modified Sun.macros for the OS version. Everything builds ok.
Problems encountered so far:
1. xedit crashes on startup with Segmentation fault.
2. xman starts up ok but crashes with Segmentation fault as soon as the cursor
   is moved into any of the buttons.
3. Colour arguments seem to map to black or white only.

The same distribution builds and works ok on a Sun 3/160 under OS 3.5.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PS: if this topic has been raised before I appologize - I'm new around here!

gmk@texhrc.UUCP (Gail Kahle) (03/31/89)

In article <463@hfserver.hfnet.bt.co.uk>, davel@hfserver.hfnet.bt.co.uk (Dave Linton) writes:
> I'm having problems getting X11R3 to run on a Sun 4/110 (Sparc) under OS 4.0
>
> I've modified Sun.macros for the OS version. Everything builds ok.
> Problems encountered so far:
> 1. xedit crashes on startup with Segmentation fault.
> 2. xman starts up ok but crashes with Segmentation fault as soon as the cursor
>    is moved into any of the buttons.
>
> The same distribution builds and works ok on a Sun 3/160 under OS 3.5.

I am running X11R3 on both a Sun3 and a Sun4, and have experienced the
same problem with a segmentation fault when the cursor enters a command
button on the Sun4 only.  However, this occurs on all of the demos and
contrib examples, which leads me to believe I'm missing some part of
the installation defaults.

I can get around it by adding a call to XtSetArg(arg[n],XtNtranslations,
XtParseTranslationTable) and setting <Enter Window>, etc. for each
command button used, but since the original code works OK on the Sun3,
there must be another way.

Any ideas ?  Thanks.

				Gail Kahle
				Texaco, Inc.