[comp.windows.x] X under SV

baggi@icsi.berkeley.edu (Denis L. Baggi) (04/01/89)

I have seen already similar questions on this newsgroup, but never
any answer.
We'd like to have X-windows running on  a 386-based machine (with e.g. VGA)
under System V (i.e., the latest SCO Xenix).
Although SV is not specifically mentioned in the Release Notes, I
cannot believe that the existence of SV has been ignored - I say
this though I am a BSD addict. Thus I'd like to know from anybody
who has done it or has it and also from anybody who can estimate
the difficulty of the job should we want to do it ourselves - yes,
we have the source.

Denis Baggi
International Computer Science Institute, Berkeley, CA

terry@tah386.UUCP (Terry Hull) (04/02/89)

In article <28630@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> baggi@icsi.berkeley.edu (Denis L. Baggi) writes:
>I have seen already similar questions on this newsgroup, but never
>any answer.
>We'd like to have X-windows running on  a 386-based machine (with e.g. VGA)
>under System V (i.e., the latest SCO Xenix).

Currently, SCO is preparing to ship Xsight, a XENIX port of X11R2.  It
should be available by June or July.  (SCO is trying to get it
completed by May.)  There are no other ports of X for XENIX that I am
aware of.  It does not seem like a good idea to do the port right now
since SCO UNIX 3.2 is supposed to be available within a few months.  I
would be interested in doing some of the work, but I'm involved in
another major project that will last another 3 months.

Even though there are not ports of X for XENIX, there are several
ports of X for UNIX v3.2 though.  AT&T, Interactive, Bell Tech, and GSS all
have commercial products available.

From what I have read, the port to XENIX would be quite a lot of work.
It would be beneficial to a lot of people if someone had the time and
expertise to do the port and donate it to MIT so that it could be part
of the official distribution.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University