[comp.windows.x] NeWS for 386's

mh@wlbr.EATON.COM (Mike Hoegeman) (04/07/89)

In article <6759@bunny.UUCP> abh0@bunny.UUCP (Andrew Hudson) writes:
>I read in some hi-tech trade-journal tabloid that Sun will be
>licensing NeWS source to third party vendors. Does anyone else
>have details? Is there any central organization which coordinates
>who does what to NeWS? I would be interested in seeing a comprehensive
>list of vendors who supply NeWS, for what hardware platforms, and with
>what requirements. Even better would be a consumer's advocate kind
>of comparison, benchmarks and bugs report.
>
>Comments? Criticisms?
>
>- Andrew Hudson
>GTE Laboratories
>abh0@gte.com

sun already licenses NeWS. they always have as far back as i can remember.
i'm sure the merged X/NeWS will be too.

For more detailed info sun is the best source, but i will will try to
answer any questions if you need a specific answer.

BTW, NeWS is  already on a whole bunch of machines (Mac's, Silicon
graphics, HP's, 386's, etc..).  The list is really quite extensive.
There are NeWS' out there for third party boards for suns too. We use
Parallax's graphics boards in our 3/160's with "PNeWS" which has a set
of LIVE (and still)video sampling extensions which are AWESOME.
Parallax did a really good job and it did'nt take them long at all to
do the port, I don't remember exactly how long it took them but it was
something on the order of 2-3  months.  Right now I'm watching "Top
Gun"  in one NeWS window and typing this article in another. OH !!
Wait a minute!! here comes Kelly McGillis..   Yow! :-)

-mike.