[comp.windows.x] Input Devices & A Question

lewin@savax.UUCP (Stuart Lewin) (04/13/89)

In article <2928@daisy.UUCP> Ken Lee writes:
>Only mouse and keyboard input are well supported by standard X.  X can
>be extended, however, to support other input devices, such as trackballs,
>bitpads, etc. ...

The port I did supported a trackball just fine with no extensions to
standard X...it was kind of awkward to use, but ya' gotta give the
customer what they want. Although some input devices might require
some kind of extension mechanism, I thought the input extensions are
more meant for supporting other input devices besides whatever you
select for your keyboard and pointer device.

But on to another topic: I've heard that someone volunteered at the
last X Conference to maintain the porting layer documentation. Is
that true and if so, who do I send the corrections/problems I've found
to?

Stu Lewin
Sanders Associates
lewin@savax.sanders.com ((or)) ...!decvax!savax!lewin