[comp.windows.x] Weird Xsun cap lock problem

corbet@stout.ucar.edu (Jonathan Corbet) (04/06/89)

The details: x11.3, patches 1-9, gcc, awm.

Has anybody else ever seen this?  Every now and then I'll be working away,
and the X server decides that it is going to go into permanent "caps lock"
mode.  All keys become capital letters, and there seems to be nothing I
can do about it.  I can pound on the "caps" key until my fingers bleed, to
no avail.  Awm will only recognize button events with the shift modifier.
There is nothing to be done but stop the server and begin from scratch.

The problem is infrequent.  I hadn't seen it for a few weeks, but it has
happened twice this evening.

Does anybody have an idea as to what is going on here?  Is there a way to
avoid this problem, or a way to recover when it strikes?  Any help would
be much appreciated.

Jonathan Corbet
National Center for Atmospheric Research, Field Observing Facility
corbet@stout.ucar.edu

corbet@stout.ucar.edu (Jonathan Corbet) (04/06/89)

The details: x11.3, patches 1-9, gcc, awm.

Has anybody else ever seen this?  Every now and then I'll be working away,
and the X server decides that it is going to go into permanent "caps lock"
mode.  All keys become capital letters, and there seems to be nothing I
can do about it.  I can pound on the "caps" key until my fingers bleed, to
no avail.  Awm will only recognize button events pasx shift modifier.
There is nothing to be done but stop the server and begin from scratch.

The problem is infrequent.  I hadn't seen it for a few weeks, but it has
happened twice this evening.

Does anybody have an idea as to what is going on here?  Is there a way to
avoid this problem, or a way to recover when it strikes?  Any help would
be much appreciated.

Jonathan Corbet
National Center for Atmospheric Research, Field Observing Facility
corbet@stout.ucar.edu
#!

eap@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Eric Pearce) (04/06/89)

In article <2939@ncar.ucar.edu> corbet@stout.ucar.edu (Jonathan Corbet) says:
>The details: x11.3, patches 1-9, gcc, awm.
>
>Has anybody else ever seen this?  Every now and then I'll be working away,
>and the X server decides that it is going to go into permanent "caps lock"
>mode.  All keys become capital letters, and there seems to be nothing I
>can do about it.  I can pound on the "caps" key until my fingers bleed, to
>no avail.  Awm will only recognize button events with the shift modifier.
>There is nothing to be done but stop the server and begin from scratch.
>
>The problem is infrequent.  I hadn't seen it for a few weeks, but it has
>happened twice this evening.
>
>Does anybody have an idea as to what is going on here?  Is there a way to
>avoid this problem, or a way to recover when it strikes?  Any help would
>be much appreciated.
>
>Jonathan Corbet
>National Center for Atmospheric Research, Field Observing Facility
>corbet@stout.ucar.edu

  I've had this happen a couple of times too.  The trick seems to be
  to bang both shift keys in a rapid, random manner.  Really.

  -e

 Eric Pearce                                   ARPANET eap@bu-it.bu.edu
 Boston University Information Technology      CSNET   eap%bu-it@bu-cs
 111 Cummington Street                         JNET    jnet%"ep@buenga"
 Boston MA 02215                               UUCP    !harvard!bu-cs!bu-it!eap
 617-353-2780 voice  617-353-6260 fax          BITNET  ep@buenga

dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller) (04/06/89)

In article <2939@ncar.ucar.edu> corbet@stout.ucar.edu (Jonathan Corbet) writes:
>The details: x11.3, patches 1-9, gcc, awm.

>Has anybody else ever seen this?  Every now and then I'll be working away,
>and the X server decides that it is going to go into permanent "caps lock"

It happened to me just as I was reading your article :-)  Yes, it happens
to me, too.  What else seems to be true is that mouse buttons don't seem
to register correctly.

for what it's worth, I just type chars in an unimportant window and move
the mouse around a lot till it restores its state.  pretty scientific, huh?
Dan Heller	<island!argv@sun.com>

rlk@THINK.COM (Robert L. Krawitz) (04/06/89)

Are you sure it's the caps lock that's stuck?  This happens to me
fairly often, but it's actually the shift key that's stuck.  I can
verify this by typing keys that aren't shifted by capslock, and by
clicking the mouse -- it acts as shift-click rather than caps-click.
It happened under X10 as well, and it happens to me with uwm.

The fix is to keep pounding on one and/or both shift keys while typing
and clicking the mouse.  Eventually whatever caused the problem in the
first place seems to undo itself.

ames >>>>>>>>>  |	Robert Krawitz <rlk@think.com>	245 First St.
bloom-beacon >  |think!rlk	(postmaster)		Cambridge, MA  02142
harvard >>>>>>  .	Thinking Machines Corp.		(617)876-1111

taylor@THINK.COM (04/06/89)

<Date: Wed, 5 Apr 89 21:52:24 EDT
<From: Robert L. Krawitz <rlk@Think.COM>

<
<The fix is to keep pounding on one and/or both shift keys while typing
<and clicking the mouse.  Eventually whatever caused the problem in the
<first place seems to undo itself.

Have you tried: hold down one shift key, while holding it down, press
down on the other shift key, then release both shift keys, one after the
other?  It works for me.

David

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (04/14/89)

  Are any of you using the new Type IV Sun keyboard?  I had this problem
when I got stuck with a Type IV and removed the Caps Lock key as is my
habbit.

	[When will keyboard manufacturers realize that the correct place
	for a Caps Lock key is as far away from the central area of the
	keyboard as possible???]

  The new keyboard seems to use a completely different key switch which
doesn't like being Naked To The Light Of Day.  In any case, simply
lifting the keyboard up, inverting it up side down, and then setting it
back down right side up seemed to fix the problem.  This was so annoying
that I was forced to put the Caps Lock key back on.

	[When will keyboard manufacturers take new keyboard designs to
	people who actually use them before Standardizing them????
	(sigh) I hate my new keyboard.]