[comp.windows.x] New 3/60 kerboard info requested

benson@odi.UUCP (Benson Margulies) (04/10/89)

I joust received a brand-new 3/60. It has this peculiar keyboard.  On
the left bottom, it has alt and a diamond, (actually Left). on the
right, it has a diamond, "compose", and "alt graph". Does anyone know
the keysym story for these? I really want to turn compose and alt graph
into useful citizens.

--
Benson I. Margulies

>I joust received a brand-new 3/60. It has this peculiar keyboard.  On
>the left bottom, it has alt and a diamond, (actually Left). on the
>right, it has a diamond, "compose", and "alt graph".

So they're finally shipping Type 4's on desktop Sun-3s (and presumably
Sun-4s, as well), as well as deskside 3's and 4's, and '386i's....

>Does anyone know the keysym story for these?

The diamond keys are, as you note, the same as Left and Right on Type
3's.  As such, they should have the same keysyms (left-hand and
right-hand "meta", I think).  (Heck, as I remember they should have the
same *keycodes*; the Type 4 keystation numbers are mostly like those on
the Type 3.)

>I really want to turn compose and alt graph into useful citizens.

Good luck.  To make them useful for what they're intended requires some
rewhacking of XLookupString, at the very least.  Alt Graph is intended
to let you get at the third symbol on some keys on non-US layouts;
unfortunately, I don't think XLookupString is prepared yet to
acknowledge the existence of keys with three symbols on them (i.e., to
fully support keycode-to-keysym mappings with more than two columns).

Compose is intended to introduce a two-key sequence that gets mapped
into some e.g. ISO Latin #1 character (for instance, Compose+r+o maps
into the "registered trademark" symbol).  I'm told DEC was looking at
some scheme for supporting this in X11.

I think there is a keysym hiding somewhere that corresponds to
"compose".  I seem to remember there being none for "alt graph"; there
should be one.  I don't think Sun is the only one with "alt graph" on
its keyboards.

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (04/14/89)

| From: guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris)
|
| So they're finally shipping Type 4's on desktop Sun-3s (and presumably
| Sun-4s, as well), as well as deskside 3's and 4's, and '386i's....

  Yep.  And they're shipping them with a default setting that assumes
you're not a SUn 3 running SunOS 3.5 (or earlier).  Luckily they are
shipping a READ ME FIRST that says you should check the dip switch
setting.

| > I really want to turn compose and alt graph into useful citizens.
|
| Good luck.  To make them useful for what they're intended requires some
| rewhacking of XLookupString, at the very least.

  I use the following ``xmodmap -e "add mod1 = Alt_R"''.  Now at least I
don't have to hunt around for the Meta key.  I hate these new
keyboards.  They're way two crowded in the lower left and right corners.
The return key is also a major hassle since it's almost - but not quite -
square, I'm having a lot of difficulty with just missing the stupid thing
because I can't get my head to keep remembering that small shaved off
partial edge.  Most of the rest of the keyboard is ok (except of course
for my perennial tirade against the lowly Caps Lock key).