[comp.windows.x] How to torpedo Open Look

rick@hanauma (Richard Ottolini) (04/14/89)

(1) Charge a large amount of money for it, say $1000.  There are enough good,
free, XWindow managers that few people will examine expensive ones.
(2) Require Byzantine licensing conditions.  It always takes us at least
three months and twenty phone calls to order software from AT&T because of
lcensing nitpicking between Stanford and AT&T.

If AT&T doesn't put the Open Look toolkit source into the public domain I predict
very few people will use it.   This is how Sun killed NeWS.

bhagwan@voodoo.UUCP (The Bhagwan) (04/16/89)

In article <1564@Portia.Stanford.EDU> rick@hanauma (Richard Ottolini) writes:

>(1) Charge a large amount of money for it, say $1000.
>(2) Require Byzantine licensing conditions.  It always takes us at least
>three months and twenty phone calls to order software ...
>If AT&T doesn't put the Open Look toolkit source into the public domain
>I predict very few people will use it.

There is some hope. I've looked at both Open Look and Motif, and my preliminary
impression is that I like Open Look better. Sun has committed to place
their Xview (Open Look compliant) toolkit on prep and also the X11R4 tape.
I heard this at UniForum in SFO (direct from the horses mouth). It's apparently
implemented like Sun View, but looks and feels like Open Look. I'm looking
foreward to testing it out.

But time is running out for AT&T and Open Look. I couldn't agree with your
two statements more. AT&T ought to get their act together on this. GIVE the
source away to anyone who wants it NOW. They're doomed if they don't - my
guess is their doomed anyway, standards are always LCD (PM like Motif).

Of course these are not the opinions of The Boeing Company - just mine.

--
Al McPherson		     Member Holstein Aerobatic Team
Boeing Computer Services     ...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!voodoo!bhagwan