[comp.windows.x] Some more ideas

dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller) (04/16/89)

In article <1341@bacchus.dec.com> asente@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Asente) writes:
>In article <12461@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> dheller@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Dan Heller) writes:
>> [Why are Xaw resources in StringDefs.h, among other things]

>It's not that StringDefs.h contains definitions for the Xaw widgets, it's
>that it contains definitions we thought would be commonly found in many
>widget sets. ... but it's too late to do anything about it now based
>upon the amount of code that depends upon this.

This is true and a good point --there's no sense in discussing what should
have happened except to try to avoid similar problems in the future.

But it is the future that I'm concerned with.  You didn't respond to my
proposal that widget-specific include files should follow some sort of
consistency and order among them.  I realize that some applications' source
files would have to be modified by inserting an "Xaw" in the #include lines
for athena widgets, but the savings in other problems would offset that
inconvenience.
Dan Heller	<island!argv@sun.com>