[comp.windows.x] Need X-Windows Skill Tests

Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) (04/16/89)

I am looking for written tests and answer sheets that can be used
to test a person's technical skills in any of the following
software environments:  Apple Macintosh, Microsoft Windows or
Presentation Manager, PC-DOS, OS/2, SunWindows, X Windows, UNIX,
DECwindows, or VMS.  I would also like to test the person's
knowledge of C, C++, and 80x86, 680x0, DEC, or IBM 370 assembly
languages.  Finally, I would like to test the person's knowledge
of compiler writing theory and practice.

First, does anyone know of a company that produces examinations
that test for knowledge in any of the above areas?  Second, does
anyone happen to have such a test (maybe from school or ...?) that
they could share with me?

Thanks,
Will

jrg@Apple.COM (John R. Galloway) (04/17/89)

In article <17284@cup.portal.com> Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) writes:
>I am looking for written tests and answer sheets that can be used
>to test a person's technical skills in any of the following
>software environments:  Apple Macintosh, Microsoft Windows or
>Presentation Manager, PC-DOS, OS/2, SunWindows, X Windows, UNIX,
>DECwindows, or VMS.  I would also like to test the person's
>knowledge of C, C++, and 80x86, 680x0, DEC, or IBM 370 assembly
>languages.  Finally, I would like to test the person's knowledge
>of compiler writing theory and practice.

I assume that this is a prelude to use of such tests on prospective employees.
IF THIS IS SO (never mind if not :-) you might at least have told us who
your company is so that those among us who do not wish to be "classified,
numbered, indexed, etc." (apoligies to the "Prisner") could avoid your firm.
It (in my view) is a complete waste of time to interview someone if the
interviewer does not have the knowledge and experience to properly evaluate
the persons skills (whatever those may be, and any one interview need not
look into all skills relavant to the job).  Further, even on a practical level
I think you are greatly mistaken if you believe that soeone who has memorized
the X window interface specs must necessarily be outstanding at solving
problems relating to window systems (X or otherwise).

Again if I am under a false impression here, oops, never mind (in that case
what DO you want them for?).
apple!jrg	John R. Galloway, Jr.       contract programmer, San Jose, Ca

These are my views, NOT Apple's, I am a GUEST here, not an employee!!