[comp.windows.x] Support of multiple displays

basil@jplpro.JPL.NASA.GOV (Basil Hashem) (04/12/89)

We are currently running X11R3 on a Sun 4/260, with SunOS 4.0.
Attached to it are two 19" *color* monitors.

I understand that the Xsun server is capable of handling both of these
displays. [At least, one as a black and white, and one as a color].

I have several questions:

1) How does one indicate to the Xsun server (via xinit) that there are other
monitors attached?  How is the /dev/cgtwo1 <--> unix:0.1 association made?

2)

2) Is only one window manager needed for the control of both displays?  If
so, then is it possible for a window to be dragged across the displays, or
a window to straddle the displays? Why or why not?

3) Our application requires us to have three displays attatched to our
machine, are there any limitations in the design of the server to preclude
such support?  Why is there a limitation on the Xsun server of only 1 B&W
and 1 Color display?  Does 3 monitor support require server modification?
And if so, what changes are needed?

4) Does anyone know what support the to-be-released X11/NeWS server will
have for multiple displays?

Thanks in advance

Basil Hashem (Regular disclaimer!)         Jet Propulsion Laboratory - NASA
4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA.  91109                    (818) 354-3076
UUCP: cit-vax!jplpro!basil
Inter: basil%poe@vlsi.jpl.nasa.gov

doyle@ingr.com (Doyle Davidson) (04/13/89)

In article <4773@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>, basil@jplpro.JPL.NASA.GOV (Basil Hashem) writes:

> 2) Is only one window manager needed for the control of both displays?  If
> so, then is it possible for a window to be dragged across the displays, or
> a window to straddle the displays? Why or why not?

A window manager like every other X clients connects to one (or more)
displays.  Windows etc.. are opened with respect to that display.  Dragging
a window to another display (not that any window managers would do this)
would not be allowed since the display is different and all of the clients
resources are relative to the original display.  Imagine trying to go
from color to mono... what would X do?  Although it would be nice if you
could drag a window from one display to another that has the same format.

Oh, as best as I can tell, none of the existing popular window managers
handle multiple displays (twm, uwm, hpwm).  hint...hint... 8-)
Ya gotta run two or more each with:  -display xxx:0.?

> 3) Our application requires us to have three displays attatched to our
> machine, are there any limitations in the design of the server to preclude
> such support?  Why is there a limitation on the Xsun server of only 1 B&W
> and 1 Color display?  Does 3 monitor support require server modification?
> And if so, what changes are needed?

The limitation of the number of displays allowed is in the device dependent
portion of the server.  Any limit on Suns is entirely their decision.
Our server can support as many displays as you have available on
our workstation (just 1 or 2 for now...)

> Basil Hashem (Regular disclaimer!)         Jet Propulsion Laboratory - NASA

Doyle C. Davidson              |
Intergraph Corp.               |  These comments are...
Workstation Graphics Standards |
1 Madison Industrial Park      |
Huntsville, AL 35806           |
(205) 772-2000                 |        X-clusively my own.

..!uunet!ingr!b11!doyled!doyle |
..!uunet!ingr!doyle            |

toml@hpfcdq.HP.COM (Tom LaStrange) (04/15/89)

>> 2) Is only one window manager needed for the control of both displays?  If
>> so, then is it possible for a window to be dragged across the displays, or
>> a window to straddle the displays? Why or why not?
>
>A window manager like every other X clients connects to one (or more)
>displays.  Windows etc.. are opened with respect to that display.  Dragging
>a window to another display (not that any window managers would do this)
>would not be allowed since the display is different and all of the clients
>resources are relative to the original display.  Imagine trying to go
>from color to mono... what would X do?  Although it would be nice if you
>could drag a window from one display to another that has the same format.
>
>Oh, as best as I can tell, none of the existing popular window managers
>handle multiple displays (twm, uwm, hpwm).  hint...hint... 8-)
>Ya gotta run two or more each with:  -display xxx:0.?

The R4 version of twm will support multiple displays,  I've been
running it that way for about 5 months now.

--
Tom LaStrange

Hewlett Packard Co.               ARPA: toml%hpfcla@hplabs.hp.com
Graphics Technology Division      UUCP: hplabs!hpfcla!toml
Fort Collins, CO

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (04/16/89)

In article <4948@ingr.com= doyle@ingr.com (Doyle Davidson) writes:
=In article <4773@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV=, basil@jplpro.JPL.NASA.GOV (Basil Hashem) writes:

== 2) Is only one window manager needed for the control of both displays?  If
== so, then is it possible for a window to be dragged across the displays, or
== a window to straddle the displays? Why or why not?

=Oh, as best as I can tell, none of the existing popular window managers
=handle multiple displays (twm, uwm, hpwm).  hint...hint... 8-)
=Ya gotta run two or more each with:  -display xxx:0.?

I remember seeing a Sun 2/120 at CMU running Andrew with a color screen
in addition to a normal mono one.  You could move windows between them, and I
*think* you could straddle.  However, I don't think there was any support for
color, so everything was b/w.

--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, my VT05, or my 11/34)

davidl@intelob.intel.com (David Levine) (04/17/89)

>> 2) Is only one window manager needed for the control of both displays?  If
>> so, then is it possible for a window to be dragged across the displays, or
>> a window to straddle the displays? Why or why not?
>
>A window manager like every other X clients connects to one (or more)
>displays.  Windows etc.. are opened with respect to that display.  Dragging
>a window to another display (not that any window managers would do this)
>would not be allowed since the display is different and all of the clients
>resources are relative to the original display.

I think we have a bit of a terminology collision here.  In X-ese, a
"display" is a connection between the client and the server; a
"screen" is a graphics display surface.  A screen always belongs to a
single display; a window always belongs to a single screen.  However,
a display can support multiple screens.

A physical CRT can have more than one "screen" associated with it; the
Sun server that supports "Zaphod mode" with a color and a mono screen
on the same CRT does exactly this.  Theoretically, a "screen" could
also cover several CRTs.  The Macintosh II's native windowing system
can do this, but I don't know of any X server that does it.

I think the original poster in this thread was using the term
"display" to mean a physical CRT.  There's no theoretical reason that
an X server could not be written to give the desired behavior (one
"screen" mapping to several CRTs).  Of course, if the CRTs had
different visuals, the server would have to do some fancy footwork to
make them look consistent to the client.  I don't know how the Mac II
does it.

As long as I'm posting on terminology, I'd like to mention a
terminology point that's fouled me up in the past: From the client's
point of view, a "display" is a server.  From the server's point of
view, a "display" is a client.  Some clients (those that call
XOpenDisplay more than once, for whatever reason) can deal with
multiple displays.  If those multiple "displays" are actually multiple
connections to the SAME server, the server will appear to the client
to be several separate displays, and the client will appear to the
server to be several separate clients.

If I'm blowing smoke here, feel free to correct me.  I've only been
working with X for a little while...

            David D. Levine                BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNN  NNNN TM
        Senior Technical Writer            BBBB  BBBB iiii iiii NNNN NNNN
                                           BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNNNNNNNN
UUCP: ...[!uunet]!tektronix!biin!davidl    BBBB  BBBB IIII IIII NNNN NNNN
MX-Internet: <davidl@intelob.intel.com>    BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNNN  NNN
ARPA: <@iwarp.intel.com:davidl@intelob.intel.com>