[comp.windows.x] viewport not listening to XtNwidth

dwight@george (Dwight H. Cooper) (04/10/89)

> I've noticed a strange thing when I try to place a viewport widget
> within a form widget.
> In my code, I state the exact size I would like the viewport widget to
> be...
> Well, the viewport widget gets drawn starting in the proper place, but
> it extends clear to the right edge of the form widget, rather than
> limiting itself to the width I stated in XtNwidth.
One of the bugs with both the Viewport and Form widgets in the R2 release
was that they ignored any XtNwidth or XtNheight that was specified for them.
This is fixed in the R3 widgets.
Dwight Cooper
GE Electronic Systems   dcooper%esdsdf.decnet@crd.ge.com

%ESDSDF.DECnet@crd.ge.COM (04/12/89)

Date: Mon, 10 Apr 89 11:35:38 EDT
From: dwight@george (Dwight H. Cooper)
To: esdsdf!csbvax::mrgate::"smtp::expo.lcs.mit.edu::xpert"
Subject: viewport not listening to XtNwidth

chapman@lll-lcc.UUCP (Carol Chapman) (04/17/89)

In article <8904101535.AA02038@george.jetsons.com> dwight@george (Dwight H. Cooper) writes:
>One of the bugs with both the Viewport and Form widgets in the R2 release
>was that they ignored any XtNwidth or XtNheight that was specified for them.
>This is fixed in the R3 widgets.

I AM using X11 R3, so can I conclude that the bug has not been fixed?

carol

Livermore Lab            (chapman@lll-crg.llnl.gov or chapman@lll-lcc.llnl.gov)
P.O. Box 808, L-153      Tel. (415) 423-7876
Livermore, CA  94550     "Never own anything that you have to FEED or PAINT."

vojta@spam.berkeley.edu (Paul Vojta) (04/17/89)

I have been having a similar problem, which may be related.  When changing the
size of the child widget, if the child widget shrinks so that scroll bars are
no longer necessary, they do not disappear under R3 as they did under R2.
To try this out, get the new version of xdvi from expo:contrib/ and use the
's' key to change the shrink factor (and therefore the child widget size).
(I've mentioned this before, but have gotten no feedback.)

--Paul Vojta, vojta@math.berkeley.edu

kit@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Chris D. Peterson) (04/19/89)

> I have been having a similar problem, which may be related.  When changing the
> size of the child widget, if the child widget shrinks so that scroll bars are
> no longer necessary, they do not disappear under R3 as they did under R2.

We are working on this one for R4.  It is complicated, but I think we have got
it.

                                                Chris D. Peterson
                                                MIT X Consortium