[comp.windows.x] Emacs under 'Ultrix

darin@nova.laic.uucp (Darin Johnson) (04/21/89)

When I open up Gnu Emacs on a DECstation 3100 (with DECwindows),
the X window pops up ok with a window manager title bar on the top,
resizes ok, and is otherwise perfectly normal.  However, in dxterm,
I have keys remapped so I have an escape key (only DEC would come out
with a UNIX only machine, and not have an escape key :-) and <> in
the right places.  However, this gets saved as a dxterm resource, and
is not general enough so that emacs sees this remapping.  I am
unfamiliar with remapping keys, etc. in X so any hints would be appreciated.

(PS: anyone know how to save file sorting order in dxue?  It doesn't
save, and setting sort_ascending in .ue_profile doesn't do it)

Darin Johnson (leadsv!laic!darin@pyramid.pyramid.com)
	Can you "Spot the Looney"?

asente@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Asente) (04/21/89)

In article <517@laic.UUCP> darin@nova.UUCP (Darin Johnson) writes:
>I have keys remapped so I have an escape key (only DEC would come out
>with a UNIX only machine, and not have an escape key :-) and <> in
>the right places.  However, this gets saved as a dxterm resource, and
>is not general enough so that emacs sees this remapping.

This seems to be a common problem so I'll post the answer.  add this line
to your .X11Startup file:

xmodmap -e "keycode 0xb1 = Meta_L" -e "keysym period = period greater" -e
"keysym comma = comma less" &

(All on one line.)  This makes the compose key act like a meta key for
emacs and puts < and > on the , and . keys.  Also, key F11 is already
escape if you ever find yourself using an unfixed keyboard.

	-paul asente
	    asente@decwrl.dec.com	decwrl!asente