[comp.windows.x] grid widget in X?

jonasn@ttds.UUCP (Jonas Nygren) (04/21/89)

I am looking for a widget that implements a spread-sheet, like a grid
of text-widgets. Text-widgets should have justification attributes
and the grid-widget should scroll if it's larger than the window.

Does anyone of you know of such an widget? I'm new to X and would
prefer to use an existing widget instead of building my own. Please
answer by e-mail.

Thanks in advance

klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) (04/22/89)

In article <1199@ttds.UUCP> jonasn@ttds.UUCP (Jonas Nygren) writes:
>I am looking for a widget that implements a spread-sheet, like a grid
>of text-widgets. Text-widgets should have justification attributes
>and the grid-widget should scroll if it's larger than the window.

I don't know of a single widget that does this, but it is fairly easy to
do using existing widgets.  Create an array of text widgets (with
whatever justification attributes you want) and put them in a form
widget, using the form layout attributes to line them up.  Put the form
in a viewport widget, which handles scrolling.  I did this for an
application with a small grid (about 20 rows by 10 columns) and it
worked fine.  If you have a very large grid, however, you may not want
to realize all the widgets at once (that could cause performance and/or
memory problems).  You could try modifying the form widget to only
realize the visibile text widgets.
--
Ken Lee
Daisy Systems Corp., Interactive Graphics Tools Dept.