[comp.windows.x] Help with Sun and X

micky@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Micky Liu) (04/24/89)

I've recently had the misfortune to have to re-install SunOS on one of
my machines so currently I am supporting both SunOS3.5 and SunOS4.0.1,
both on Sun-3's.

On my 3.5 system I've installed gcc-1.31 and used that to compile the
X server with the official fixes and most of the Purdue suggested
speedups and am quite happy to say that it is working very well and
I'm quite pleased that it built so easily.

On my 4.0.1 system I've installed gcc-1.34 and attempted to build the
same sources, but it just isn't working up to par...  I know about the
heavy memory requirements with 4.0, but our Sun-3's have 12M of memory
in them...  The behaviour of Xsun and some other things just aren't
acting properly, just the simple simple stuff like killing Xsun.  I
use it just like I did on my 3.5 system...  I start it up using:

$ xinit; kbd_mode -a

and now when I send it a KILL, it messes the console up and then logs
me out...  Some other things are also happening with xterm, but I
can't pinpoint them yet...  Is there something that I'm missing?  I
know that there were some warnings about gcc-1.32, but I haven't kept
up to date...

Is there anyone out there with experience that can help this poor city
boy?  The scenario is a Sun-3/140, SunOS4.0.1, gcc-1.34, X with fixes
1-7, and Purdue Speedups 2.0 and 2.1.

Thanx,

Micky

  arpa: micky@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu
  uucp: ...!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!micky
bitnet: malua@cuvmc

carlson@aftac.tis.llnl.gov (John Carlson) (04/25/89)

In article <1436@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> micky@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Micky Liu) writes:

>$ xinit; kbd_mode -a
>
>and now when I send it a KILL, it messes the console up and then logs
>me out...  Some other things are also happening with xterm, but I
>can't pinpoint them yet...  Is there something that I'm missing?  I
>know that there were some warnings about gcc-1.32, but I haven't kept
>up to date...

Hmmm... I just horked the stuff from ddx/sun/kbd_mode.c and put it
in ddx/sun/sunIo.c under ddxGiveUp().

	translate = (sunUseSunWindows() ? TR_EVENT : TR_ASCII );

I no longer use kbd_mode, except in extreme cases.

Sometimes it's easy to make life easier.

John Carlson
carlson@tis.llnl.gov