[comp.windows.x] X for MAC-OS?

kohl@gmdzi.UUCP (Andy Kohl) (04/21/89)

Does anybody know anything about an X implementation for the MAC
under MAC-OS?

thanks in advance
       ANDY

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (04/22/89)

>Does anybody know anything about an X implementation for the MAC
>under MAC-OS?

Check out "eXodus 1.0" from White Pine Software, Amherst, New Hampshire,
Telephone: 603-886-9050.  There's a brief article about this in the May
MacWorld.  It's a brand new product and looks like what you'd be looking for.
The more RAM you have, the better the resolution.

Sorry, but I don't have their full address.

Robert
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine

lih@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew Lih) (04/22/89)

In article <2847@tank.uchicago.edu> ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>Check out "eXodus 1.0" from White Pine Software, Amherst, New Hampshire,
>Telephone: 603-886-9050.  There's a brief article about this in the May
>MacWorld.  It's a brand new product and looks like what you'd be looking for.
>The more RAM you have, the better the resolution.

Well, one question that seems rather obvious, but no one has asked yet is:

	How does the Mac emulate a two button mouse?

As you know, most X workstations (hosts) use at least a 2 button
mouse, and some use 3.  Fortunately, on a two button mouse, X lets you
hold down *both* buttons to emulate the 3rd button, but how does
eXodus and other X packages for the Mac provide for the second and
third button?

Inquiring minds want to know...

 """""""   Andrew "Fuz" Lih	              Columbia University Center
 | @ @ |   Instructional Computing	      for Computing Activities
 <  ^  >
  \ - /    lih@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu	      AJLUS@CUVMB.BITNET
   --- 	   lih@heathcliff.cs.columbia.edu  ...rutgers!columbia!cunixc!lih

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (04/23/89)

    but how does
    eXodus and other X packages for the Mac provide for the second and
    third button?

With keys on the keyboard.  For example, using two of the arrow keys
(and using the other two arrow keys as additional modifier keys).

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (04/23/89)

In article <1429@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu>, lih@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew Lih) writes...

>Well, one question that seems rather obvious, but no one has asked yet is:
>
>	How does the Mac emulate a two button mouse?

I don't know for sure, but I believe one option is to use the option and
command/apple keys in conjuntion with mouse presses.

Robert
------

lih@CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Andrew Lih) (04/23/89)

> Date: Sat, 22 Apr 89 13:48:44 -0400 From: rws@expo.lcs.mit.edu
>
>     but how does
>     eXodus and other X packages for the Mac provide for the second and
>     third button?
>
> With keys on the keyboard.  For example, using two of the arrow keys
> (and using the other two arrow keys as additional modifier keys).

Well, I figured that they would do that, but that is a rather hairy
way of doing things.  Also, I believe that the Mac can detect at most
two keys down at the same time.

Also another problem, in my window manager, I have SHIFT-RIGHT button
to be my combination for moving a window, this means that on a Mac I
might have to hold down two keys and move the mouse at the same time.
Let us just hope that the two keys that I have to hold down are
adjacent, or I will have to use my nose to move the mouse. :-)

This should not be a problem with the Mac ADB extended keyboard where
there are Control-Command-Option-Shift keys on both sides of the
keyboard, but on the regular Macitnosh ADB keyboard, there may be
problems with holding down the control key and the arrow keys to
emulate a certain combination of keys/buttons...

I guess I will have to take a look at eXodus to see how they solved
the problem.

PJS@GROUCH.JPL.NASA.GOV (Peter Scott) (04/23/89)

mcvax!unido!gmdzi!kohl@uunet.uu.net writes:

>Does anybody know anything about an X implementation for the MAC
>under MAC-OS?

From a recent trade paper:  "... from White Pine Software... the $499
utility is called eXodus version 1.0, and the capital X in the name
stands for the ney, MIT's X11 Window System... the amount of graphics
detail that you see on screen depends upon how much RAM you can dedicate
to supporting the X Window.  You'll lose some resolution if you have only
1MB of RAM...  The eXodus utility supports... AppleTalk, DECnet, and TCP/IP."

So call White Pine Software (I don't have their address or number).

Disclaimer: I'm not associated with WPS, never used any of their products,
never talked to any of their salespeople, never taken any bribes from them
(but open to offers), never met anyone that works for them, couldn't care
less whether or not you buy their stuff...

Peter Scott (pjs@grouch.jpl.nasa.gov)

ianh@merlin.bhpmrl.oz (Ian Hoyle) (04/23/89)

From article <1034@gmdzi.UUCP>, by kohl@gmdzi.UUCP (Andy Kohl):

> Does anybody know anything about an X implementation for the MAC
> under MAC-OS?

I think eXodus from White Pine software, which is just that ...
X under the MacOS will be shipping soon.

				ian

--

                Ian Hoyle
     /\/\       Computer Systems Superintendent

max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) (04/24/89)

In article <2857@tank.uchicago.edu>, ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
> In article <1429@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu>, lih@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew Lih) writes...
> >
> >Well, one question that seems rather obvious, but no one has asked yet is:
> >
> >	How does the Mac emulate a two button mouse?

The Mac under AUX 1.1 uses the left and right arrow keys to emulate the left
and right buttons on a three button mouse.
--
Max Heffler                     uucp: ..!uunet!jma!max
Landmark Graphics Corp.         phone: (713) 579-4751

sho@pur-phy (Sho Kuwamoto) (04/24/89)

In article <144@jma.UUCP> max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) writes:
>The Mac under AUX 1.1 uses the left and right arrow keys to emulate the left
>and right buttons on a three button mouse.

Ick.  really?

-Sho

carlson@aftac.tis.llnl.gov (John Carlson) (04/25/89)

In article <2186@pur-phy> sho@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:
>In article <144@jma.UUCP> max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) writes:
>>The Mac under AUX 1.1 uses the left and right arrow keys to emulate the left
>>and right buttons on a three button mouse.
>
>Ick.  really?

On ours, A/UX uses the left arrow key to emulate the middle
button of the 3 button mouse (unless this is the MIT X server). :-)

Has anyone given any thought to making window manager configuration
files useable across mouse platforms?  I don't want to maintain more
than one .awmrc (I just spent some time getting a .awmrc to work well
on a one button mouse platform).

Let's make life easier, it's already hard enough.

John Carlson
carlson@tis.llnl.gov