[comp.windows.x] The DISPLAY Variable and a wish list

kemnitz@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Gregory Kemnitz) (04/25/89)

o Everything on the X tape should be POSIX compliant

I just got through the arduous adventure of porting X to a System V system.
(Fortunately, we had a socket implementation).  Are there any plans by anyone
in MIT or somewhere to make Xlib POSIX-based?  (I realize that this probably
won't be necessary for about a year or eighteen months, but EVERYONE's **IX
(and VMS???) should be POSIX-compliant by then.)

o Having LOGIN or XDM set your DISPLAY variable BEFORE exec-ing your login
  shell

The DISPLAY variable is just like your entry in /dev/*ty*** for dumb terminals.
When X terminals become standard equipment in minicomputers, forcing the
users to set it in login scripts will be A MASSIVE ADMINISTRATIVE NIGHTMARE.
Also, this would make X-Window a much more secure system.

					Greg Kemnitz

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (04/25/89)

    o Everything on the X tape should be POSIX compliant

That's a nice wish.  Perhaps someday it will come true.  We aren't likely
to do anything until we have compliant systems in house.

    o Having LOGIN or XDM set your DISPLAY variable BEFORE exec-ing your login
      shell

Huh? Xdm does set DISPLAY and other variables before exec-ing the Xsession.

dougm@ico.ISC.COM (Doug McCallum) (04/26/89)

In article <642@mitisft.Convergent.COM> kemnitz@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Gregory Kemnitz) writes:

>o Having LOGIN or XDM set your DISPLAY variable BEFORE exec-ing your login
>  shell

I would suspect that it is set but the System V login is discarding it.
The System V login command only sets a couple of environment variables
and discards those it inherited.  You need to modify login to retain
the DISPLAY variable.