[comp.windows.x] Scroll facility for List widget ?

sekhar@synthesizer.cis.ohio-state.edu (Gollamudi Chandrasekhar) (04/21/89)

I am using the Athena List widget to let the user select one of many items.
But the number of items in my list is very large, and thus the list
cannot be displayed fully in the available window.  I would like to have
some kind of scroll facility (vertical) by which the list items can
be scrolled up/down? Can someone suggest a good way of doing this, using
Athena Toolkit/widgets!!

Thanks,
chandra.

-=-
: Chandrasekhar Gollamudi                 Internet: sekhar@cis.ohio-state.edu :
: Department of Computer and Information Science, The Ohio State University   :
: 2036 Neil Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210-1277 USA.        Voice: (614) 292-0066 :

toh@s.cs.uiuc.edu (04/23/89)

Simply create a viewport widget with its scrollbars turned on and attach
your list widget to it as a child.

EW

ewtoh@ncsa.uiuc.edu

kit@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Chris D. Peterson) (04/25/89)

[ synthesizer.cis.ohio-state.edu!sekhar@ohio-state.arpa
  (Gollamudi Chandrasekhar) writes: ]

>  I would like to have some kind of scroll facility (vertical).

The List widget works very well when placed in a Viewport widget which will
give you the scrollbars you desire.  In fact, the Viewport is clever enough
to only display scrollbars when they are needed.

CAUTION: Be sure to set "allowVert" to True.

					Chris D. Peterson
					MIT X Consortium

spa%hara.fctunl.rccn.pt@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (04/26/89)

> "Chris D. Peterson" <kit@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU> writes:
>
> [ synthesizer.cis.ohio-state.edu!sekhar@ohio-state.arpa
>   (Gollamudi Chandrasekhar) writes: ]
>
> >  I would like to have some kind of scroll facility (vertical).
>
> The List widget works very well when placed in a Viewport widget which will
> give you the scrollbars you desire.  In fact, the Viewport is clever enough
> to only display scrollbars when they are needed.

True enough. It would be nice though if the viewport knew how much to scroll the
list widget by, ie. it's kind of irritating to scroll by pixels when the list
suggests a minimum size for scrolling (namely the height of an element).

Maybe a new argument for the Viewport widget, something like the XtNgranularity
of the XwScrolledWindow widget in the HP Xw widgets.
---
Salvador Pinto Abreu                 BITNET/Internet: spa@hara.fctunl.rccn.pt
                                                  or: FCT_SPA@PTIFM.BITNET
UUCP: ...{mcvax,inria}!inesc!unl!spa          PSI/VMS: PSI%(+2680)05010310::SPA
ARPA: spa%hara.fctunl.rccn.pt@mitvma.mit.edu  Phone: (+351) (1) 295-4464 x.0560
                                                Fax: (+351) (1) 295-4461
Snail:  Dept. de Informatica, Universidade Nova de Lisboa
        2825 Monte Caparica, PORTUGAL

kit@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Chris D. Peterson) (04/26/89)

> It would be nice ...

I agree.

> Maybe a new argument for the Viewport widget, something like the
> XtNgranularity of the XwScrolledWindow widget in the HP Xw widgets.

Okay, code it up and send me diffs and I will see about adding it.
This will of course require a change to every widget in Xaw since they
all need to tell the Viewport their granularity.  Sounds like a fair amount
of work to me.

                                                Chris D. Peterson
                                                MIT X Consortium

jkh@pcsbst.UUCP (Jordan K. Hubbard) (04/27/89)

Well, you could put it in a viewport, I suppose.. I basically
had the same requirement but with different constraints (I needed
to scroll the list widget in increments of "rows" and also needed
a feature where a highlighted line [highlighted by the application,
not the user] would be made visible if it was outside the "window").

Since the list widget assumes that all of itself is visible (at least
for my purposes), I was forced to write a scrolling list widget.

It's sort of a hack, tho..

					Jordan