[comp.windows.x] X windows for the IBM mainframe

balamut@HAC2ARPA.HAC.COM (Morris Balamut) (04/25/89)

Hi,

Is there a version of X windows that will run on and IBM
mainframe (VM/CMS or MVS). If not currently, does anyone
know if it is being worked on and by who.

Thanks you.

Morris Balamut
Hughes Aircraft
(213) 513-5829

schwartz@shire.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) (04/25/89)

In article <8904242106.AA04703@hac2arpa.hac.com>, balamut@HAC2ARPA (Morris Balamut) writes:
>Is there a version of X windows that will run on and IBM
>mainframe (VM/CMS or MVS). If not currently, does anyone
>know if it is being worked on and by who.

I'm pretty sure IBM sells a client implementation for CMS.
(Regardless of where it came from, I've compiled stuff like Xconq on
our 3090.)
--
Scott Schwartz		<schwartz@shire.cs.psu.edu>

DEG41560@UA1VM.BITNET (Rob Smith) (04/25/89)

If there is a IBM mainframe version of X, could someone post a message to
the list.  Thanks, Rob.

bill@dayton.UUCP (William T. Argyros) (04/26/89)

In article <8904242106.AA04703@hac2arpa.hac.com> balamut@HAC2ARPA.HAC.COM (Morris Balamut) writes:
>Hi,
>
>Is there a version of X windows that will run on and IBM
>mainframe (VM/CMS or MVS). If not currently, does anyone
>know if it is being worked on and by who.
>
>Thanks you.
>
>Morris Balamut
>Hughes Aircraft
>(213) 513-5829

I have in front of me a printout titled:
        5685-061 - IBM TCP/IP FOR MVS RELEASE 1

DocID:  R007274
Product Number:  5685-061

I am trying to convince my boss that this is something we should get.

If I may quote a short segment from the document...

	"... This connectivity includes the ability to transer files,
send mail, and log on to a remote host in a network of heterogeneous
systems.  Also included is support the the network file system (NFS)
server function, remote procedure call, and X-Windows Client Fucntion."

It goes on to say that it will work with channel attached Ethernet or
Token-Ring LAN controllers.  This is the IBM 8232 Lan Channel Station.
It supports:
                     IBM Token Ring Network
                     Broadband IBM PC Network
                     Ethernet Lan
                     IBM 3270/3725/3745

The X Window Client support consists of IBM C/370 library functions
that can be linked with user programs written with IBM C/370.  It also
notes that the IBM C/370 Library AND the IBM C/370 Pascal Library are
required to run IBM C/370 programs on your MVS system.

So, with this IBM product, you should be able to write and run an
X Window client on your MVS host, and have it open it's windows on
your favorite X server.

The NFS feature (which is seperately priced) provides support for
NFS 3.2.

I hope this helps.  If you are interested you should, of course,
contact your IBM Sales Force Team.

                                                       -bill

--
UUCP: bill@DHDSC.MN.ORG                 Bill Argyros/1060
      rutgers!dayton!bill               Dayton-Hudson Dept. Store. Co.

pajerek@isctsse.UUCP (Don Pajerek) (04/26/89)

In article <8904242106.AA04703@hac2arpa.hac.com> balamut@HAC2ARPA.HAC.COM (Morris Balamut) writes:
>Hi,
>
>Is there a version of X windows that will run on and IBM
>mainframe (VM/CMS or MVS). If not currently, does anyone
>know if it is being worked on and by who.

AIX/370 for IBM mainframes will be shipping some time this year.  It
will run as a guest under VM, and will support X clients.  There will
be no way to run an X server, due to the nature of the IBM mainframe
terminal interface.  The X clients will be accessed by a workstation
connected to the mainframe via Ethernet or token-ring running TCP/IP
(yes, TCP/IP will run on the mainframe).

I am not aware of any planned support for X clients directly under VM.

>Morris Balamut

Don Pajerek

rad@mbunix.mitre.org (Richard A. Dramstad) (04/27/89)

In article <8904242106.AA04703@hac2arpa.hac.com> balamut@HAC2ARPA.HAC.COM (Morris Balamut) writes:
>Hi,
>
>Is there a version of X windows that will run on an IBM
>mainframe (VM/CMS or MVS). If not currently, does anyone
>know if it is being worked on and by who.

	Surprise:  IBM.  There are actually product announcements for
the VM version of IBM's TCP/IP implementation that include X
support.  (NFS with RPC is an option for that product, by the way.)
The X support has raw Xlib only; no toolkits provided yet.  (OSF Motif
is an obvious candidate, which includes the DEC DECwindows ToolKit and
the HP/Microsoft PM user interface/look-and-feel.  IBM has to get
something useful out of OSF, right? :-)

	The MVS version of the IBM TCP/IP product (with X, NFS, RPC,
etc.) is due to become a product sometime around June.

	We're very interested in the possibility of melding modern
workstation-style user interfaces with the IBM commercial quality
databases/proprietary OS-based systems that we have such a heavy
investment in.  We're not unaware of some of the "fun" issues to be
resolved, however, like:  do you really want to do a Telnet3270
session to the IBM host just to kick off an X client application?
What are the alternatives?  I'd be interested in comparing notes if
you decide to pursue an effort along these lines.

>Morris Balamut
>Hughes Aircraft
>(213) 513-5829

Dick Dramstad
The MITRE Corp.

tom@FANGORN.GSFC.NASA.GOV (Thomas D. Schardt) (04/27/89)

Yes, IBM provides the X libraryies to write X client under VM with the TCP/IP
product.  I have no idea whether it works however.