[comp.windows.x] New X-Terminal Vendor announcement

pda@stiatl.UUCP (Paul Anderson) (04/27/89)

(summary presented here from April 17, 1989 issue of Unix Today)

The NCR Towerview is a 68020 based X Windows terminal.  It has a
15" monochrome display that is 1,024 by 800 pixels.  Memory is 512k of
RAM that can be extended to 2.5 Mbytes.  It has a PS2 compatible
keyboard.  The mouse is a 3-button (unknown if optical, but presumed
so).  Standard hookup is via RS232.  Either Ethernet or the NCR Towernet
interface's are optional and cost $455 if installed at the factory
or $500 if it is a kit upgrade done by the user.

Base price for the machine is $3000.  But to make it useable (ethernet
and some more RAM) I would plan on $4000, minimum.

NCR  (513) 445-5000    (Dayton, Oh)

--
Paul Anderson
gatech!stiatl!pda

jmcelroy@ncrorl.Orlando.NCR.COM (J. McElroy) (04/28/89)

Some adjustments to the information posted about the
NCR TOWERVIEW X Station....

>The NCR Towerview is a 68020 based X Windows terminal.  It has a
>15" monochrome display that is 1,024 by 800 pixels.  Memory is 512k of
>RAM that can be extended to 2.5 Mbytes.  It has a PS2 compatible
>keyboard.

The keyboard is plug compatible with an IBM-AT, but has 101 key
PS2-like layout.
System has hardware cursor --no disappearing, flashing, jumping cursor fun :-)

>The mouse is a 3-button (unknown if optical, but presumed so).

The mouse has  3 buttons and is opto-mechanical (no pad required ).

>Standard hookup is via RS232.  Either Ethernet or the NCR Towernet

TCP/IP and TOWERNET networking are available.

>Base price for the machine is $3000.  But to make it useable (ethernet
>and some more RAM) I would plan on $4000, minimum.
>NCR  (513) 445-5000    (Dayton, Oh)

Base price is $2595 and includes 1MB memory and RS-232 interface.
With ethernet option and 1.5MB memory the price is $3300.
Memory is upgradable to 3 MB.

TOWERVIEW supports locally executing X client programs, downloadable X
extensions, multiple telnet sessions in terminal emulation windows, and
 a window to the RS-232 port (called Modem Window) when using
ethernet for host communications.

Jeff McElroy - NCR E&M Orlando    407-333-9250
jmcelroy@Orlando.NCR.COM
...uunet!ncrorltv!jeff

lgy@blake.acs.washington.edu (Laurence Yaffe) (04/28/89)

In article <523@ncrorl.Orlando.NCR.COM> jmcelroy@ncrorl.Orlando.NCR.COM (J. McElroy) writes:
-
- Some adjustments to the information posted about the
- NCR TOWERVIEW X Station....
-
- TCP/IP and TOWERNET networking are available.
- >
- TOWERVIEW supports locally executing X client programs, downloadable X
- extensions, multiple telnet sessions in terminal emulation windows, and
-  a window to the RS-232 port (called Modem Window) when using
- ethernet for host communications.
-
- Jeff McElroy - NCR E&M Orlando    407-333-9250
- jmcelroy@Orlando.NCR.COM
- ...uunet!ncrorltv!jeff

    I took a look at one of these in our local NCR office. However,
when I tried to arrange a demo of the X terminal in my department,
the local NCR people claimed that it needed to have its own software
resident on whatever hosts you wished to connect with.  Consequently,
they claimed that they couldn't (yet) get it working with the MIPS or
DEC machines we have.  They, of course, were quite willing to sell me
an NCR Tower in addition to some X terminals :-).

Can this really be true?  It sure sounded fishy, but if they
didn't think the demo would work, who am I to argue otherwise?
(Instead, I got an NCD X terminal to demo.  Bigger screen, more pixels,
lower price.  Quite nice.)

--
Laurence G. Yaffe		Internet: lgy@newton.phys.washington.edu
Department of Physics, FM-15	  Bitnet: yaffe@phast.bitnet