[comp.windows.x] X tools for building X applications

PJS@GROUCH.JPL.NASA.GOV (Peter Scott) (04/28/89)

After seeing a demo of the NeXT machine today, I realized that what I
could really use is a graphical tool for building X programs - something
that would let me pick a widget from a list, say, design resources, set
window attributes, etc, and let me specify placement of objects by dragging
them into position rather than using pixel coordinates.  Then it would
write the code.  Is anyone working on *anything* like this?

Peter Scott (pjs@grouch.jpl.nasa.gov)

smikes@hound.UUCP (S.MIKES) (04/28/89)

Yes, but I cannot tell you any specifics because of my affiliation
with AT&T (non-disclosure agreements, etc.); you need to contact
the vendors of X products, such as Sun Microsystems or HP or DEC.
They will be able to tell you specifically what they have available.
I would love to tell you what I know, but if I want to keep working
I have to be discreet with what I say on the Internet.

Steve

fkittred@bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge) (04/28/89)

In article <890427110956.00001716091@grouch.JPL.NASA.GOV> PJS@GROUCH.JPL.NASA.GOV (Peter Scott) writes:
>After seeing a demo of the NeXT machine today, I realized that what I
>could really use is a graphical tool for building X programs - something
>that would let me pick a widget from a list, say, design resources, set
>window attributes, etc, and let me specify placement of objects by dragging
>them into position rather than using pixel coordinates.  Then it would
>write the code.  Is anyone working on *anything* like this?
>
>Peter Scott (pjs@grouch.jpl.nasa.gov)

Visual Edge Software is.  I would tell you about it, but I am
suppose to have signed a non-disclosure agreement.

regards,
fletcher

Fletcher E. Kittredge  fkittred@bbn.com

chdana@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Charles H. Dana) (05/03/89)

PJS@GROUCH.JPL.NASA.GOV (Peter Scott) writes:

>After seeing a demo of the NeXT machine today, I realized that what I
>could really use is a graphical tool for building X programs - something
>that would let me pick a widget from a list, say, design resources, set
>window attributes, etc, and let me specify placement of objects by dragging
>them into position rather than using pixel coordinates.  Then it would
>write the code.  Is anyone working on *anything* like this?

Some students and I are working on such a tool here.  While it is not so
'mysterious' as the commercial ones cloaked in non-disclosure agreements
that were mentioned in other followups to the original posting, it also is not
yet quite ready to release out to the cold cruel world (even as a beta release).
I think by this summer we can have something for people to play with.  I
have been using it here for three quarters in a course on window systems
and it is improving rapidly.

--
Charles Dana				        |  chdana@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU
Computer Science Department			|	    or

thor@stout.ucar.edu (Rich Neitzel) (05/03/89)

In article <10949@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> chdana@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Charles H. Dana) writes:
>PJS@GROUCH.JPL.NASA.GOV (Peter Scott) writes:
>
>>After seeing a demo of the NeXT machine today, I realized that what I
>>could really use is a graphical tool for building X programs - something
>>that would let me pick a widget from a list, say, design resources, set
>>window attributes, etc, and let me specify placement of objects by dragging
>>them into position rather than using pixel coordinates.  Then it would
>>write the code.  Is anyone working on *anything* like this?
>
>Some students and I are working on such a tool here.  While it is not so
>'mysterious' as the commercial ones cloaked in non-disclosure agreements
>that were mentioned in other followups to the original posting, it also is not
>yet quite ready to release out to the cold cruel world (even as a beta release)

Well, there is a product out that does the functions mentioned, is being
released and is largely bug free. The product is called TAE Plus (or TAE+).
TAE+ is a package developed by NASA/Goddard. You can build complete user
interfaces by interaction with a set of description windows. You may copy,
duplicate and otherwise manipulate objects. Currently C code is generated,
but Fortran, Ada and C++ should be available soon. Two very nice features
that speed design are rehersal mode and the use of resource files. When
you are building the interface, you can go into rehersal mode. This allows
the interface to perform a limited set of interactions, such as openning
or closing subwindows, without any code being generated. Resource files
hold the description of the initial interface. This means that you can alter
the interface appearence without having to recompile your source code.
Changes to the interface are made by using the development tool and are
applied only to the resource file. For example, we are using TAE+ to
develop a control interface for an airborn research weather radar. Our
users will require at least English, French and German interfaces. We can
supply resource files for all three, but use exactly the same C code.

TAE+ is currently in beta form. The current release is V3.2. This uses the
HP xray toolkit. However, in June/July V4.0 will be released, which will
use Xt instead. In addition, there will be new features that make it more
powerful. The best part is that currently TAE+ is a no cost item. To get
more information contact:

	Goddard Space Flight Center
	TAE Support Office
	Code 522
	Greenbelt, MD 20771
or call
	301-286-6034

			Richard Neitzel
			National Center For Atmospheric Research
			Box 3000
			Boulder, CO 80307-3000
			303-497-2057

			thor@thor.ucar.edu

    	Torren med sitt skjegg		Thor with the beard
    	lokkar borni under sole-vegg	calls the children to the sunny wall
    	Gjo'i med sitt shinn		Gjo with the pelts
    	jagar borni inn.		chases the children in.