[comp.windows.x] Amiga

dsill@RELAY.NSWC.NAVY.MIL (05/03/89)

This is great.  I'm really enjoying sitting here and reading
everyone's opinions about the correctness of the decisions made by the
designers of the Amiga.  Of course everyone has 20/20 hindsight.  I'm
sure some of these decisions are questionable when viewed in the light
of the Amiga as an X client/server, but that probably wasn't even in
the *back* of their minds at the time.  The fact that a 512k machine
even *can* be both an X server and client *simultaneously* is
impressive, and that 512k is the minimum any Amiga has.

Can we move on to the next topic please?

"The ultimate metric that I would like to propose for user
friendliness is quite simple: if this system were a person, how long
would it take before you punched it in the nose?"
					-- Tom Carey

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (05/04/89)

In article <8905021703.AA14171@expo.lcs.mit.edu> dsill@RELAY.NSWC.NAVY.MIL writes:
>the *back* of their minds at the time.  The fact that a 512k machine
>even *can* be both an X server and client *simultaneously* is
>impressive, and that 512k is the minimum any Amiga has.

Just want to correct any misconception here. We need a 1M memory amiga
to get the server running (about 300k itself), support a 1 bitplane
640x400 display (32000 bytes). The X clients are a minimum of about 50k
each (I don't have a shared Xlib yet but we are working on it).
Uwm itself is about 150k.

We need to share this 1m of memory with the operating system also though.
It will use about 150k itself. (The amiga has sliding
screens that appear concurrantly on the display device each in their own
resolution and with its own colormap). About 32k is allocated to its
640x200x2 display. A real X11 System with several clients requires
about 1.5-2m of amiga memory.

>Can we move on to the next topic please?

Sorry you are not interested in other technologies that may actually
benefit the work being done in X.
--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale