[comp.windows.x] Looking for "vector" fonts

paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) (05/05/89)

I need fonts that I can scale and rotate.  X fonts only come in fixed sizes,
and it seems that you can only draw the letters "right-side up".  I don't
care if they're compatible with X fonts (I would expect to use them in a
bitmap mode).  Just about any font would be welcome--Ideally, I would like
a Times-Roman kind of font.

Thanks in advance,
--
Paul Close	paul@cacilj.CTS.COM 	...!{uunet, ucsd, crash}!cacilj!paul

    The Obi-wan Kenobi method:  "Use the Source, Luke"	-Jim Fulton

jonnyg@umd5.umd.edu (Jon Greenblatt) (05/05/89)

In article <989@cacilj.UUCP> paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) writes:
>I need fonts that I can scale and rotate.  X fonts only come in fixed sizes,
>and it seems that you can only draw the letters "right-side up".  I don't
>care if they're compatible with X fonts (I would expect to use them in a
>bitmap mode).  Just about any font would be welcome--Ideally, I would like
>a Times-Roman kind of font.

	I have ported vector fonts to X11 using the public domain Hershy fonts.
The font system I developed supports a postcript scaling matrix so
fonts can be sized and rotated. The system also prints strings intelegently
so you do not have to place each letter. Although the entire font system
is written in C, it is intergrated with Xlisp. The entire font sytem uses
only one Xlib call to draw polylines. If someone would like to port this
font system to a form usable by C programers please send me mail and
I will send you the code. I should be able to make my entire object
oriented graphics system available to comp.sources.x in the not so distant
future with permission of the author of xlisp, David Betz, of course.

	Here are some highlights of my OOPS window system that some toolkit
developers may be interested in. Numbers with '*' next to them mean the
feature is simular to a feature provided by MS Windows on the PC.

1*:	All graphics can be scaled based on the window size.
2:	Postscript like font system.
3:	Complete object oriented toolkit.
4:	Smart lisp to X11 interface written in C for speed.
5:	Uses Xlisp2.0 with some significant speed enhancements that I
		have hacked in.
6:	Total source compatability with MS Windows. The MS Windows version
		works but has some nasty problems at this point.
7:	The toolkit looks very much like the one provided by Actor on
		MS Windows. Unlike the current version of Actor, there are
		many intelegent graphics objects defined.
8:	The interface to the window system is very simple and uses only
		a few but very intelegent calls. This is an advantage in
		making code easier to read/write but greatly limits access
		to the full X11 capabilities.
9:	C code can be easily added to the environment since the entire C
		source of Xlisp is provided. Xlisp2.0 makes interfacing
		C with lisp a breeze.

	I have made offers to give out beta's of this. I still need to get
David Betz a copy before doing anything. I will be making the beta available
to comp.source.x when/if I can coordinate it with David.

					JonnyG.
				(jonnyg@rover.umd.edu)
				(jonnyg@umd5.umd.edu)