[comp.windows.x] Faster color X for Sun-3s?

dsill@RELAY.NSWC.NAVY.MIL (04/22/89)

I liked your "diplomacy" signature quote.  Do you have an attribution
for it?

-Dave

tom@pravda (Thomas R. Hinrichs) (04/25/89)

I'm posting this for a friend:

"Has anyone out there implemented a faster version of the color X
server for  Sun-3s?  If so, can one get a copy of it?"

Thanks for your help!
tom@gatech.edu
Thomas R. Hinrichs
School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332
uucp: ...!{decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,linus,rutgers,seismo}!gatech!tom

mlandau@bbn.com (Matt Landau) (04/25/89)

In comp.windows.x (<18523@gatech.edu>), tom@pravda (Thomas R. Hinrichs) writes:
>"Has anyone out there implemented a faster version of the color X
>server for  Sun-3s?  If so, can one get a copy of it?"

Yeah, Sun :-)

Seriously, from the prereleases I've seen, the NeWS/X server should be
pretty speedy even on relatively minimal machines.  Last I heard, it was
to be released in July.  Catalyst vendors are being offered SparcStation
development kits that claim to include the OpenWindows package (merged
server, XView toolkit, Open Look window manager), so they must be getting
close to a real release.
--
 Matt Landau		    	mlandau@bbn.com

 Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a rock.

mongo@helios (Mongo Package) (04/26/89)

I am anxiously awaiting the release of X11/NeWS from Sun along with everybody
else who has a Sun and wants a faster server.  Unfortunately, I am sitting
in front of a 4 Megabyte Sun.  At the announcement party for the new Sun
Sparcstations 2 weekes ago, Sun confirmed that they do not recommend running
X11/NeWS on a 4 Megabyte Sun unless you use it *only* as a window onto other
machines.  I asked if Sun was planning to release a version of vanilla
X11 without NeWS which was optimized for Sun machines.  The answer was, "No."
It was a qualified `No', but still a `no'.  It would seem that we who have
4 Megabyte machines will have to rely on MIT and Purdue, or go to a third
party vendor.

Steve Allen
See your Sun sales representative for the real story.  These are my opinions
only and do not reflect the opinions of any portion of the University of Calif.

spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) (04/27/89)

I have a bunch of "Purdue" improvements for the color portion of the
server all set to go, but I need to find the time to put them in and
test them.  Unfortunately, that has to be a low priority for now -- I
have projects I'm being paid to do that take precedence.  Now if
someone wanted to fund some of my summer salary...:-) Alternatively, I
hope I can convince a grad student to take an independent study course
with me and do the work under my direction.

Speedups will be available.  It just may take a while.  Sorry.
--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,

dshr@SUN.COM (David Rosenthal) (04/28/89)

Steve Allen from UC Santa Cruz writes:

> I am anxiously awaiting the release of X11/NeWS from Sun along with everybody
> else who has a Sun and wants a faster server.  Unfortunately, I am sitting
> in front of a 4 Megabyte Sun.

X11/NeWS is faster than the MIT sample server,  but the difference is not
overwhelming for monochrome machines.  A 4M color Sun has performance problems
irrespective of the window system it is running.

> At the announcement party for the new Sun
> Sparcstations 2 weekes ago, Sun confirmed that they do not recommend running
> X11/NeWS on a 4 Megabyte Sun unless you use it *only* as a window onto other
> machines.  I asked if Sun was planning to release a version of vanilla
> X11 without NeWS which was optimized for Sun machines.  The answer was, "No."
> It was a qualified `No', but still a `no'.

X11/NeWS uses more memory than the MIT server (like most commercial X servers)
but it does so largely to improve rendering performance,  not to implement the
NeWS interpreter.  As Robin Schaufler explained in her Usenix paper,  X11/NeWS
is not implemented by adding a PostScript interpreter to a basic X server,  but
by implementing an integrated window server capable of supporting multiple
interpreters and both X and PostScript imaging models.  "Configuring out"
NeWS (or X) would result in only a small space saving - basically just the
protocol interpreter loop - and isn't really practical.  This should be
contrasted with the approach taken by vendors adding Display PostScript
to X servers - since there is little integration between the interpreters
and imaging systems configuring out DPS will save a lot of space.

Further,  I think you have mis-represented Sun's position somewhat.  I believe
that what was said was that Sun does not recommend running OpenWindows(TM)
with both the server and clients on a 4M machine.  This restriction is due
more to the resource requirements of the OpenWindows clients (the replacements
for the familiar shelltool,  cmdtool,  and so on implemented using the XView
toolkit) than to the resource requirements of the X11/NeWS server itself.  If all
you run are vanilla X clients like xterm,  the resource requirements will be
significantly less.

> It would seem that we who have
> 4 Megabyte machines will have to rely on MIT and Purdue, or go to a third
> party vendor.

I have a 4M monochrome 3/75 and run NeWS,  MIT X and X11/NeWS on it (not all at
once :-).  For vanilla X applications,  the overall system performance is
currently slightly better with the MIT sample server than with X11/NeWS.  I would
strongly urge anyone with a 4M color system to add memory without regard
to the window system they run.  If they do,  they will find that X11/NeWS
is substantially faster than the MIT sample server.

The performance of an X server is largely determined by the performance
of the DDX imaging layer.  It is greatly to the credit of the server
implementation team at DEC that the "mfb" code,  while highly portable,
provides good performance.  Although optimizations are certainly possible,
it is unlikely that anyone (Sun, MIT,  or a third party) would be able to
provide a version of "mfb" that would provide radically better performance
in a monochrome 4M machine.  Everything I can think of to improve mfb's
performance costs memory,  which is where we came in....

	David.

colas@mirsa.inria.fr (Colas NAHABOO) (05/02/89)

From article <8904281800.AA00273@devnull.sun.com>, by dshr@SUN.COM (David Rosenthal):
> it is unlikely that anyone (Sun, MIT,  or a third party) would be able to
> provide a version of "mfb" that would provide radically better performance
> in a monochrome 4M machine.

Just for the record, the BULL DPX1000 Workstation X server, made by GIPSI
S.A. IS really faster than the MIT implementation. Just ask Bob Scheifler,
he quoted it as "the fastest 68K-based X server" when he saw it at the OSF
UEC RFT in September. (and my server takes up less than 1meg, says "ps -l").

Of course, it was written by a truly outstanding programmer, Pieter Van Der
Linden, with such techniques as on-the fly generation of 68020 code, clever
use of the processor cache, etc... it really flies!

Colas NAHABOO       BULL Research FRANCE -- Koala Project
                    (GWM X11 Window Manager)
    Internet:       colas@mirsa.inria.fr
Surface Mail:       Colas NAHABOO, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
                    2004, route des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex -- FRANCE
 Voice phone:       (33) 93.65.77.71, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 66, Telex: 97 00 50 F

paul@torch.UUCP (Paul Andrews) (05/08/89)

tom@pravda (Thomas R. Hinrichs) writes:

>I'm posting this for a friend:

>"Has anyone out there implemented a faster version of the color X
>server for  Sun-3s?  If so, can one get a copy of it?"

Sure, some op's up to 20 times as fast as MIT version (and faster than the
monochrome version). Price? 295.00 pounds sterling. Address?

Torch Technology
Abberley House
Great Shelford
Cambridge CB2 5LQ