[comp.windows.x] awm -- system.awmrc & ~/.awmrc

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (05/09/89)

I don't understand this problem at all but I haven't seen anyone else
complain about it.  I just got done creating a whole bunch of X
defaults for our first-time X users.  The idea of the whole thing was
that it was as flexible as possible; for example, the default
configuration of the RESOURCE_MANAGER can be overridden with
~/.Xdefaults which is "xrdb -merge"d by our startx.

The documentation for awn indicates that $HOME/.awmrc, if it exists,
will override anything in ${LIBSDIR}/awm/system.awmrc in case of
contention.  Well, I haven't gotten it to do that.  I redefined two
menus and one button in my ~/.awmrc and they are _not_ replacing the
original definitions.  Does anyone have an idea about what the problem
is?  This is (apparently) 1.2 awm, the "second netwide release".

Dave
--
      tale@rpitsmts.bitnet, tale%mts@itsgw.rpi.edu, tale@pawl.rpi.edu

tom@ICASE.EDU (Tom Crockett) (05/09/89)

> *Excerpts from xpert: 8-May-89 awm -- system.awmrc & ~/.awmrc David C*
> *Lawrence@csd4.mi (867)*

> The documentation for awn indicates that $HOME/.awmrc, if it exists, > will
> override anything in ${LIBSDIR}/awm/system.awmrc in case of > contention.
> Well, I haven't gotten it to do that.  I redefined two > menus and one button
> in my ~/.awmrc and they are _not_ replacing the > original definitions.

I haven't noticed any problem with this.  My ~/.awmrc seems to work fine.
Although I do use the reset* commands to completely override everything, so
it's probably not the same situation.

Tom Crockett

ICASE
Institute for Computer Applications in Science and Engineering

M.S. 132C                               e-mail:  tom@icase.edu
NASA Langley Research Center            phone:  (804) 864-2182
Hampton,  VA  23665-5225

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (05/10/89)

In article <YYNh4Fz0-cs28kUVpE@icase> tom@ICASE.EDU (Tom Crockett) writes:
Tom> I haven't noticed any problem with this.  My ~/.awmrc seems to
Tom> work fine.  Although I do use the reset* commands to completely
Tom> override everything, so it's probably not the same situation.

Right, it's not the same.  ~/.awmrc is certainly being read, the awm
startup code and experience show me it is.  I bound a test menu to a
button which was undefined by system.awmrc and it shows up; however,
binding it to a button which had been previously bound in system.awmrc
did not result in the binding being replaced.

The whole point is to not use reset* directives in ~/.awmrc.  Right
now our users have 512k diskspace limits -- pretty small (but it
really is pretty firm for now).  In light of that, being able to keep
.*rc files small when you only want to make minimal changes to the
defaults is very desirable.  The way awm is acting now everyone would
have to copy the whole system.awmrc just to change one binding; this
is quite contrary to the manual page.

Dave
--
      tale@rpitsmts.bitnet, tale%mts@itsgw.rpi.edu, tale@pawl.rpi.edu