[comp.windows.x] Server is not authorized

kings@newfie.misemi (Shawn King) (05/08/89)

I've been unable to get X11R3 to run a client on a remote system
and have the results displayed on my local server.
     rlogin 190.1.4.86
     setenv DISPLAY 190.1.4.84:0
     xterm -display 190.1.4.84:0 &

The result is a fatal error message:
     Server is not authorized to connect to host.
     X Toolkit Error: Can't Open display

I also frequently experience broken pipe messages.
     XIO: fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) on X server "unix:0.0"
      	  after 51 requests (34 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
          The connection was probably broken by a server shutdown or KillClient.

     waiting for X server to shut down xterm: Broken pipe
     xterm: Broken pipe

Hardware: Sun 3/50 	SunOS: 4.0.1

Shawn L. King        (uunet!mitel!spock!kings)
Mitel Corporation

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (05/09/89)

In article <703@newfie.misemi> kings@newfie.misemi (Shawn King) writes:

   I've been unable to get X11R3 to run a client on a remote system
   and have the results displayed on my local server.
	rlogin 190.1.4.86
	setenv DISPLAY 190.1.4.84:0
	xterm -display 190.1.4.84:0 &

Just before you rlogin, say (on the machine running the window server)
`xhost 190.1.4.86'.

root@caen.engin.umich.edu (The Root of All Evil) (05/11/89)

In article <703@newfie.misemi> kings@newfie.misemi (Shawn King) writes:
>The result is a fatal error message:
>     Server is not authorized to connect to host.
>     X Toolkit Error: Can't Open display

In order to allow another server to connect to your display,
you must run the xhost program.

Syntax:

        xhost +sol           # allow sol access to my display
        xhost +35.2.64.64    # allow 35.2.64.64 access
        xhost +              # allow the world access

        Tom McLeary
        CAEN SysAdmin