[comp.windows.x] X Installation woes

ellis@unix.SRI.COM (Michael Ellis) (05/11/89)

    X installation instructions leave a great deal to be desired.

    A month ago back when we were running Sys4-3.2, I gave up trying
    to install X11R3 on my Sun4. It was far easier just moving up
    4.0.3 than the wasted week I spent trying to determine how to
    tell "make World" that it should not look for alloca in all the
    wrong places. With 4.0, X installation is a breeze. (Thanks
    to the multitude of helpful folks who offered suggestions:
    The best advice is to upgrade SunOS))

    Now that I have the core X running (and it works fine), just how
    do I install non-core X, that vast mass of software in contrib that
    "make World" refuses to touch? None of the megabytes of README's
    or installation documents or release notes offer the slightest hint.
    Individually cd-ing to each subdirectory of config and hacking up
    every Makefile in sight by hand surely isn't right, but that's all
    that  I can think of. The only clue I can find is the partially
    commented line in the top level Imakefile:

	IRS_CONTRIB = /* $(AWMDIR) $(TWMDIR) */

    However, I don't just want awm and twm. I want *everything*.

-michael

jim@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (05/12/89)

> X installation instructions leave a great deal to be desired.

Then please submit suggestions to xbugs@expo.lcs.mit.edu on how they can
be improved next time.

> A month ago back when we were running Sys4-3.2, I gave up trying
> to install X11R3 on my Sun4. It was far easier just moving up 4.0.3

Not surprising in the least.  The release notes explicitly say:

				4.3+tahoe
		Ultrix 3.0 FT2 (also compiles under Ultrix 2.0)
				SunOS 3.4
				HP-UX 6.01
	    Apollo Domain/IX 9.7 (and 9.6 according to its developers)
		IBM AOS 4.3 (according to its developers)
				 A/UX 1.0

	If you are using versions prior to these, you may run into trouble.

We didn't have a Sun3 running SunOS 4.0 on which to test, we weren't able to
isolate all of the SPARC compiler bugs from the 4.0 compiler bugs.  Sorry.  We
try to make our software install and run on a wide range of platforms, but
coping with every old version of every operating system isn't something we're
set up to do.

> Now that I have the core X running (and it works fine), just how
> do I install non-core X, that vast mass of software in contrib that
> "make World" refuses to touch?

The same way you'd do it if you got it from a friend, or off the net, or ....
The contributed software portions of the MIT releases are a grab bag.  The core
build procedure doesn't touch them, by default, because we haven't verified
that they build on all of our platforms.  But, since we'll be requiring
Imakefiles for all contributed software in R4, this will hopefully be less of a
problem.  But, you'll probably still have some work to do.

bob@tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (05/12/89)

In article <8905111839.AA24837@expo.lcs.mit.edu> jim@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU writes:
   ...we'll be requiring Imakefiles for all contributed software in
   R4...

A thousand blessings upon the camels of your grandchildren...