[comp.windows.x] PC Xsight

guarna@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (05/04/89)

Has anyone used the PC Xsight (or similar) system on an AT?  In particular,
I would like to know if it is usable to run X clients over a serial port
(rather than ethernet), and if so, is the performance tolerable over a
serial port?

	Vince Guarna
	University of Illinois
	(217) 244-0071

guarna@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (05/13/89)

In article <5200016@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> guarna@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:

> Has anyone used the PC Xsight (or similar) system on an AT?  In particular,
> I would like to know if it is usable to run X clients over a serial port
> (rather than ethernet), and if so, is the performance tolerable over a
> serial port?

PC Xsight does not currently support running clients over the serial
port.  From what users of other servers have said, performance over a
serial line at 9600 baud or greater would be tolerable as long as you
weren't doing too many bitmaps (19.2K is probably the lowest data rate
that most people would accept, from what I've heard).

I'd like to say that Locus Computing is working on a serial version of
the server, but (a) I don't know whether they are, and (b) my
nondisclosure would prevent me from saying anything anyway.  I do know
that the idea has been kicked around in the past.
--
	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   uunet!desint!geoff