[comp.windows.x] Overriding translations in text widgets

battle@alphard.cs.utk.edu (David Battle) (05/15/89)

I am trying to override the default translations of a mouse button
press in a text widget.  The action specified by the new translation
is being activated, but the old translation action is ALSO being invoked
on the same button press.  What am I doing wrong:

Demo*Text.Translations: #override \
        <LeaveWindow>: UpdateText() NonEditable() \n\
        <Btn1Down>: Editable()

(The three actions above (UpdateText, NonEditable, and Editable) are actions
I have written myself.)

			-David L. Battle
			 battle@esddlb.esd.ornl.gov
			 battle@utkcs2.cs.utk.edu

swick@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Ralph R. Swick) (05/15/89)

> Date: 15 May 89 12:05:26 GMT
> From: utkcs2!alphard!battle@gatech.edu  (David Battle)
>
> The action specified by the new translation
> is being activated, but the old translation action is ALSO being invoked
> on the same button press.

Works just fine for me.  In your particular example, you may want
to add the following; as you only modified the Btn1Down translation,
the remainder of the translations will continue to be triggered.

	<Btn1Motion>: ignore() \n\
	<Btn1Up>:     ignore()

where ignore() is another application-defined action.  (The Text
documentation lists a 'do-nothing' action but it's missing from
the implementation).