[comp.windows.x] Athena vs. Open Look vs. DEC Windows vs. Motif vs. PM ???

andy@garnet.berkeley.edu (Andy Lieberman) (05/16/89)

We are planning to write several application programs to be run (initially)
on a SUN 3/50.  We would like our applications to have a consistent"Look and
Feel" and would like them to be consistent with other major X applications
from other vendors.  I am looking for facts, opinions, and pointers to facts
about the various user interfaces.

Somewhat more specifically:

-- Which of these are actually available now?  How would I go about getting
them?

-- I saw a chart in UnixWorld (Feb. 89) that showed Presentation Manager
running on top of HP Widgets on top of Xt Intrinsics.  Is this the same as
Microsoft's PM for OS/2?  Is it the same in X and OS/2 both in terms of look
and feel to the user as well as in terms  of toolkit calls to the programmer?

-- How hard is it to port between these?  And how hard would it be to port from
Microsoft Windows?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew Lieberman
Library Systems Office
UC Berkeley

reha@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Reha Elci) (05/16/89)

In article <24454@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> andy@garnet.berkeley.edu (Andy Lieberman) writes:
>-- Which of these are actually available now?  How would I go about getting
>them?

 Athena and DECW are being used right now, Motif is kind of there but not
officially, I have seen a few copies out there... Why PM? To the best of
my knowledge that will not run on the Sun anyhow.

Athena is public, DECW you have to buy from DEC and I have no idea what the
deal is to get MOTIF right now although a lot of people seem to have it
including all source code.

>-- I saw a chart in UnixWorld (Feb. 89) that showed Presentation Manager
>running on top of HP Widgets on top of Xt Intrinsics.  Is this the same as
>Microsoft's PM for OS/2?  Is it the same in X and OS/2 both in terms of look
>and feel to the user as well as in terms  of toolkit calls to the programmer?

Athena, DECW run on X windows. In fact, DECW will be a part of OSF and will
be distributed by them in June (last I heard).

As far as the look and feel? I think MOTIF is the winner from what I have seen
and used; next runner up is DECW which is a tremendous improvement over all
the other widget sets and it is commercially supported. I have used all of
these and as far as ease of use and functionality goes I would place DECW
at the top right now; if you are willing to wait a little MOTIF will offer
tremendous advantages as far as portability, look-and-feel and probably
functionality. At any rate, I think you should give DECW and MOTIF serious
consideration, Athena is pretty primitive compared to either.
>-- How hard is it to port between these?  And how hard would it be to port from
>Microsoft Windows?
>

>Thanks in advance,

As I said, I programmed using all three that I mentioned and they are pretty
different. My guess is that it will not be too easy to port from one to
the other.

>Andrew Lieberman
>Library Systems Office
>UC Berkeley

Reha Elci

dbrooks@osf.OSF.ORG (David Brooks) (05/17/89)

In article <1516@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> reha@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Reha Elci) writes:

> Athena and DECW are being used right now, Motif is kind of there but not
>officially, I have seen a few copies out there... Why PM? To the best of
>my knowledge that will not run on the Sun anyhow.
>
>Athena is public, DECW you have to buy from DEC and I have no idea what the
>deal is to get MOTIF right now although a lot of people seem to have it
>including all source code.
[...]
>As far as the look and feel? I think MOTIF is the winner from what I have seen

Thankyou!

OSF/Motif combines technologies from HP, DEC and Microsoft.  Currently
it is available to several dozen source licensees, all of whom are
OSF Members, and who are being fed by a process of successive snapshots.

We will make Motif generally available in July.  Then we will continue
to offer source licenses for $1000 (the purpose being for vendors to
port it to their equipment), binary licenses (for ISVs) and runtime
licenses (for finished products) on a sliding scale, and university
site licenses also for $1000.

Apollo, DEC, Groupe Bull, HCR, HP, Hitachi, IBM, Interactive, MIPS,
Nixdorf, Oracle, SCO, and Siemens have announced various kinds of
support.
--
David Brooks			dbrooks@osf.org
Open Software Foundation	uunet!osf.org!dbrooks

mlandau@bbn.com (Matt Landau) (05/18/89)

In comp.windows.x (<886@osf.OSF.ORG>), dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) writes:
>We will make Motif generally available in July.  Then we will continue
>to offer source licenses for $1000 (the purpose being for vendors to
>port it to their equipment), binary licenses (for ISVs) and runtime
>licenses (for finished products) on a sliding scale, and university
>site licenses also for $1000.

Good heavens!  OSF, the Saviour of Software, Defender of the Weak from
the Evil Giants at Sun and AT&T, who actually want to *charge money*
for their window system, deciding to *license* Motif, for *cash*?
With *runtime licenses* yet!  Next they'll be moving their headquarters
to Mountain View! :-) :-)
--
 Matt Landau			Oblivion gallops closer,
 mlandau@bbn.com		    favoring the spur, sparing the rein.

ben@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Benjamin Ellsworth) (05/18/89)

> ... Athena, DECW run on X windows.

So does MOTIF.

> In fact, DECW will be a part of OSF and will be distributed by them
> in June (last I heard).

Ummmm...  Not exactly.  OSF's user environment component is MOTIF.
MOTIF has a great deal in common with both DECW and the HP's CXI.
Perhaps some authority from OSF would be willing to state the official
party line?

> As far as the look and feel? I think MOTIF is the winner from what I
> have seen and used ...

That's good to hear.

> ...if you are willing to wait a little MOTIF will offer tremendous
> advantages as far as portability, look-and-feel and probably
> functionality.

We think so.

>>-- How hard is it to port between these?

Transforming between any of them will be hard work.  The easiest port
should be from DECW to MOTIF.

>>And how hard would it be to port from Microsoft Windows?

Very hard.  The goal of MOTIF was to allow portability of *users* not
code.  Users of Microsoft Windows and Presentation Manager should have
no difficulty using MOTIF applications.  Code written for PM will be
very difficult to port to MOTIF (and vica-versa).

>>Andrew Lieberman

>Reha Elci

Benjamin Ellsworth      | ben@cv.hp.com                | INTERNET
Hewlett-Packard Company | {backbone}!hplabs!hp-pcd!ben | UUCP
1000 N.E. Circle        | (USA) (503) 750-4980         | FAX
Corvallis, OR 97330     | (USA) (503) 757-2000         | VOICE
                     All relevant disclaimers apply.