[comp.windows.x] vi in xterm under uwm isn't working right

mike@pyrdc.UUCP (Mike Whitman) (05/13/89)

I have just gotten a NCD16 X terminal and I am having the following problem.
When I fire up vi in a xterm window, vi will not move the text down in a window
when i 'O'pen a new line above or below the current point. I use the following
in my .uwmrc to start the xterm I am running vi in.

menu = "Applications" {
	"xterm"		: !"xterm -ls +si -sb -sl 512 -vb -fn 9x15 &"
	"xman"		: !"xman &"
	"emacs"		: !"emacs &"
	"vn"		: !"xterm -vb -fn 9x15 -e vn &"
	"elm"		: !"xterm -vb -fn 9x15 -e elm &"
	"top"		: !"xterm -vb -fn 9x15 -e top &"
}

menu = "Games" {
	"xwanderer"	: !"xwanderer &"
	"xphoon"	: !"xphoon -t60 &"
}

Any ideas? I am stumpped. I have tried all options in the xterm menus to no
avail. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,

-- mike --

--
      -m-------  Mike Whitman		Phone : (703)848-2050
    ---mmm-----  Pyramid Technology     Fax   : (703)848-4995

   "John Wayne never wore lycra!" -- Ron Kauk at Snowbird Climbing Competition

dave@celerity.uucp (Dave Smith) (05/16/89)

In article <1274@pyrdc.UUCP> mike@pyrdc.UUCP (Mike Whitman) writes:
>I have just gotten a NCD16 X terminal and I am having the following problem.
>When I fire up vi in a xterm window, vi will not move the text down in a window
>when i 'O'pen a new line above or below the current point.

You probably don't have the "xterm" termcap entry defined in /etc/termcap
on the host system.  This resides in clients/xterm/termcap.  If xterm can't
find the xterm entry when it starts, it claims to be a vt100 although it
doesn't quite do a vt100; the line insert sequence is different and I'm not
sure how much else is, but it definitely doesn't work right.

David L. Smith
FPS Computing, San Diego
ucsd!celerity!dave
"Repent, Harlequin!," said the TickTock Man

andrew@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Andrew Findlay) (05/16/89)

In article <1274@pyrdc.UUCP> mike@pyrdc.UUCP (Mike Whitman) writes:
>I have just gotten a NCD16 X terminal and I am having the following problem.
>When I fire up vi in a xterm window, vi will not move the text down in a window
>when i 'O'pen a new line above or below the current point.

Same here, though I am using a Sun-3 as the server. The problem seems to be
related to the vt100 emulation. If you use the "xterm" termcap entry, all is
fine. If you try to pretend that xterm is a vt100, insert-line operations
don't work.

Andrew

|  From Andrew Findlay at Brunel University, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH, UK  |
|  Andrew.Findlay@brunel.ac.uk          phone: +44 895 74000 x2512  |

rbj@DSYS.ICST.NBS.GOV (Root Boy Jim) (05/18/89)

? From: Mike Whitman <pyrdc!mike@uunet.uu.net>

? I have just gotten a NCD16 X terminal and I am having the following problem.
? When I fire up vi in a xterm window, vi will not move the text down in a window
? when i 'O'pen a new line above or below the current point. I use the following
? in my .uwmrc to start the xterm I am running vi in.

As far as I know, it has nothing to do with uwm or your .uwmrc. I
believe you have to select the `curses bug fix' in the xterm menu.

?       -m-------  Mike Whitman		Phone : (703)848-2050
?     ---mmm-----  Pyramid Technology     Fax   : (703)848-4995
?   -----mmmmm---  1921 Gallows Rd, #250  ARPA  : mike@gmu90x.gmu.edu
? -------mmmmmmm-  Vienna, VA 22182	UUCP  : ...uunet!pyrdc!mike

And now for something completely different. A UWM bug!

Run xinit.

In the sole xterm, type `uwm' with no trailing ampersand.

Create another xterm.

The second xterm (and any other windows created with uwm) disappear.
There doesn't seem to be any way to recover them either. Backgrounding
the uwm seems to make it act normally with respect to future windows,
but the old ones are still in limbo. Foregrounding uwm probably produces
the same results. I haven't tried resuspending uwm to see whether it
orphans a new set of windows, or whether this behaviour obtains with
any other window manager. Have fun, gurus!

SunOS 3.5, patches 1-9, but patchlevel seems not to make any difference.

"But you shouldn't be doing that" :-)

	Root Boy Jim is what I am
	Are you what you are or what?