[comp.windows.x] GCC 1.35 and X11

terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) (05/18/89)

Has anyone tried to get X11R3 with the Purdue speedups compiled with
GCC 1.35 on a color Sun 3/60 running SunOS 3.5?  I've seen postings of
people getting it up with 1.34 but not 1.35.  Anyway, I started with
the vanilla R3 distribution, applied the 2.0 and 2.1 Purdue patches
and compiled with 1.35 of GCC.

Now when I try to start X, I get:

XIO     fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe on X server unix:0.0)
        After 39 requests (29 known prcoessed) with 0 events remaining.
        The connection was probably broken by a server shutdown or
        KillClient.

The only thing compiled with cc was oscolor.c.  When using GCC, it
complained about a recursive definition of the fetch macro.

Any help that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
in advance for your time.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University

In article <645@eecea.eece.ksu.edu> terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) writes:
>Has anyone tried to get X11R3 with the Purdue speedups compiled with
>GCC 1.35 on a color Sun 3/60 running SunOS 3.5?  I've seen postings of
>people getting it up with 1.34 but not 1.35.  Anyway, I started with
>the vanilla R3 distribution, applied the 2.0 and 2.1 Purdue patches
>and compiled with 1.35 of GCC.

I received a suggestion via e-mail from rusty@garnet.berkeley.edu to
reduce the options in GCC to -O -traditional -fstrength-reduce and it
works!  I had been trying to use -finline-functions in addition to
these, and it sure seems to break the server.

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University
Work:  terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu, rutgers!ksuvax1!eecea!terry
Play:  tah386!terry@eecea.eece.ksu.edu, rutgers!ksuvax1!eecea!tah386!terry

keith@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (05/21/89)

The X server on the sun should build fine with GCC 1.35; rms gave me a
preliminary version (1.34.92) to test before he shipped 1.35.  I compiled
our entire core sources (R3++) -O -g -fstrength-reduce -fpcc-struct-return
and it ran without trouble.  We are now regularly building the X server
with GCC (as it nearly doubles the speed in monochrome) so you should
expect fewer troubles with the next release of X (we just need to keep
making sure it compiles with the sun compiler as well.  Sigh).

You should probably not use -finline-functions; gcc has a funny idea
of "reasonable" inlinable functions; the sample server uses enough macros
where needed for performance to make the speedup from -finline-functions
negligable, while the code bloat is quite amazing.

Keith Packard
MIT X Consortium