[comp.windows.x] How to add fonts to VAXstation2000/ULTRIX3.0 DEC server ?

chu@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Susie W. Chu) (05/23/89)

I have a VAXStation 2000/ULTRIX 3.0 running the DEC Window server.
The fonts I need are not in the default font path.  And I only have
bdftosnf, but no bdftodwf.  After bdftosnf and mkfontdir, I xset +fp
myfontdir.  "xset query" says o.k. but xlsfonts complained.  Anyway,
it didn't work.  So I turn to netters for help.
Does anybody know how to convert *.bdf or *.snf to *.dwf ?
Or how to set up so that the DEC server will use *.snf?
Thanks in advance.

---Susie Chu at (415)694-6003
net address: chu@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov
UUCP: {ihnp4,ucbvax,nike,lll-crg}!ames!pioneer!chu
Post Mail Addr: Susie Chu
		Mail Stop 233-10
		NASA/Ames Research Center
		Moffett Field, CA 94035
Disclaimer: NASA is in no way responsible for the content of the

graham@fuel.dec.com (kris graham) (05/24/89)

> From: chu@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Susie W. Chu)
> Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
> Subject: How to add fonts to VAXstation2000/ULTRIX3.0 DEC server ?
> Date: 23 May 89 16:29:50 GMT
> Sender: usenet@ames.arc.nasa.gov
>
> I have a VAXStation 2000/ULTRIX 3.0 running the DEC Window server.
> The fonts I need are not in the default font path.  And I only have
> bdftosnf, but no bdftodwf.  After bdftosnf and mkfontdir, I xset +fp
> myfontdir.  "xset query" says o.k. but xlsfonts complained.  Anyway,
> it didn't work.  So I turn to netters for help.
> Does anybody know how to convert *.bdf or *.snf to *.dwf ?
> Or how to set up so that the DEC server will use *.snf?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> ---Susie Chu

What you really want is "dxfc" in /usr/bin on your Ultrix (3.0) Workstation.

The following is a man page for "dxfc" taken from my PMAX (DECstation 3100).

                                                         dxfc(1X)

NAME
     dxfc - DECwindows font compiler

SYNTAX
     dxfc [ options ] file

ARGUMENTS
     file                Specifies the file to be opened at
                         startup.

DESCRIPTION
     The dxfc command compiles a font file so it can be used by
     the DECwindows display server.  Specifically, the dxfc com-
     mand compiles a file that is in an ASCII format called BDF
     (Bitmap Distribution Format) to produce a file that is in a
     binary format called SNF (Server Natural Format).  Unless
     otherwise redirected, output of the dxfc command is sent to
     standard output.

OPTIONS
     -m                  Specifies that dxfc use the minimum size
                         bounding box for each character in a
                         font.

     -r file             Generates a report file that describes
                         every aspect of generating the SNF file.

EXAMPLES
          dxfc -r helv12.rep  helv12.bdf > helv12.dwf

     This command compiles the BDF file helv12.bdf, redirects the
     output to the SNF file helv12.dwf, and generates a report
     file named helv12.rep.

RESTRICTIONS
     Fatal errors occur when a file cannot be opened or when a
     BDF file contains invalid font properties. Errors are accom-
     panied by an appropriate message.

SEE ALSO
     X(1X)

I hope this helps.

Christopher Graham  (graham@fuel.DEC.COM)
ULTRIX Resource Center
DIGITAL Equipment Corp.
2 Penn Plaza. [212-856-2135]
New York City

Usual disclaimers apply as I do not
claim to represent DIGITAL in this matter.