[comp.windows.x] X11 <-> DECwindows

michaud@netrix.nac.dec.com (Jeff Michaud) (05/26/89)

Bob,

> It seems that you should be able to build a DECwindows <-> X11 gateway
> on a machine that speaks DECNET and TCP/IP. It could look like a
> DECwindows server to DECwindows clients, but just pass the stream
> through by a TCP/IP connection to an X-windows server. Or vice-versa.
> Has anybody got PD or commercial software to do this?

	If you have an ULTRIX V3.0 system and DECnet-ULTRIX V3.0
	then install the unsupported subset (DNUBASE030 for
	the VAX, DNPBASE030 on the DECstation 3100) then take
	a look in /usr/examples/decnet/gatethru.  The README
	file in that directory gives such a DECnet<->TCP/IP
	X11 gateway as an example using the supplied gatewayd.c
	program in the same directory.  Sorry it isn't supported
	(I wrote it as an example) but it is bundled free :-).

	The DECnet-Internet gateway which is part of DECnet-ULTRIX
	(since V2.0) does have a supported file transfer, remote login,
	and mail gateway between DECnet and Internet.

	Hope it helps!  -jeff

[Sorry if you've seen this before -- I didn't send it to the most obvious
group].

Bob Smart <smart%ditmelb.oz.au@uunet.uu.net> or <uunet!munnari!ditmelb!smart>

----- End Included Message -----