[comp.windows.x] Which to provide OPEN LOOK or Motif?

lmjm@doc.imperial.ac.UK (05/18/89)

If I was a company providing X as the graphics systems for my
workstation is it possible for me to provide either OPEN LOOK or Motif
as part of the package so that my customers can use it without having
to pay royalties back to AT&T, IBM or whoever else?

Is either of the systems better in this regards (where better means
cheaper or easier to license)?

	Lee
--
Lee McLoughlin			01 589 5111 X 5028
Department of Computing,Imperial College,180 Queens Gate,London SW7 2BZ, UK

igp@camcon.co.uk (Ian Phillipps) (05/31/89)

lmjm@doc.imperial.ac.UK writes:

>If I was a company providing X as the graphics systems for my
>workstation is it possible for me to provide either OPEN LOOK or Motif
>as part of the package so that my customers can use it without having
>to pay royalties back to AT&T, IBM or whoever else?

Sun will have given source code for an Open Look implementation to MIT
for inclusion in X11.4. It's designed for SunView programs to convert
from, but is apparently available for all-comers.  Source: local Sun
office.

>Is either of the systems better in this regards (where better means
>cheaper or easier to license)?

This sounds pretty cheap, and easy when it comes, maybe.

Who out there can give info on Motif?
--
UUCP:  igp@camcon.co.uk   | Cambridge Consultants Ltd  |  Ian Phillipps
or:    igp@camcon.uucp    | Science Park, Milton Road  |-----------------