[comp.windows.x] Macintosh X Windows Server?

olson@endor.harvard.edu (Eric K. Olson) (05/28/89)

Simple question:  Does an X Windows Server for the Macintosh exist?

If so, is it FTPable from somewhere?

Also, can it be used over a standard terminal serial line?

Any info greatly appreciated!

-Eric

          Lexington Software Design:  Tomorrow's Software Yesterday

      Eric K. Olson     olson@endor.harvard.edu     harvard!endor!olson
         (Name)                (Arpanet)                 (Usenet)

battle@alphard.cs.utk.edu (David Battle) (05/29/89)

In article <1955@husc6.harvard.edu> olson@endor.UUCP (Eric K. Olson) writes:
>Simple question:  Does an X Windows Server for the Macintosh exist?

Yes.

>If so, is it FTPable from somewhere?

Yes, from the usual place, expo.lcs.mit.edu, ~ftp/pub/R3/core.src (it is
included in the standard distribution.)

>Also, can it be used over a standard terminal serial line?

Hmmmm.  Anything is possible, I guess.  Does anyone else have comments
on this?

What I would like to know is, is anyone working on a color version of the
server for the macII?

					-David

peters@ginsu.apple.COM (05/31/89)

In the interests of accuracy...

The Macintosh X server which may be built from the MIT R3 core source
runs only under A/UX, Apple's implementation of Unix for the Mac {II,
IIx, IIcx}. This server supports a single 1 bit deep screen. Support
for color and multiple screens has been contributed to the R4 release.
Our X *product* now shipping for A/UX does all this and more.

Steve Peters
A/UX X Project Leader
Apple Computer, Inc.

rkz@TYRANNOSAURUS.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM (Randy Zeitvogel) (05/31/89)

    Date: Tue, 30 May 89 13:57:41 -0700
    From: peters@ginsu.apple.com

    In the interests of accuracy...

    The Macintosh X server which may be built from the MIT R3 core source
    runs only under A/UX, Apple's implementation of Unix for the Mac {II,
    IIx, IIcx}.

White Pine Software of Amherst NH has announced eXodus, an X Server program
that runs on the Macintosh under Multifinder.  I saw the ad in Digital News
yesterday.