[comp.windows.x] running X11 clients from SDSC

arul@sdsu.UUCP (Arul Ananthanarayanan) (06/02/89)

I have heard rumors that the Cray at SDSC supports some version of X11.

Is this true? If so has anyone attempted to run clients on it to drive
their local X machines?

As I understand it, this computer is used by many universities outside
of CA, hence the usa distribution.

Thanks,

Arul
--
   UUCP:    ....!ucsd!sdsu!arul              work:(619) 594-7207
   ARPA:    arul%sdsu.uucp@ucsd.edu          home:(619) 583-0439

ken@UF.MSC.UMN.EDU (06/05/89)

> I have heard rumors that the Cray at SDSC supports some version of X11.

Cray Research supports X windows under Unicos (Cray unix).
With Unicos 5.0 (released last month) X11R3 is supported.

At the Minnesota Supercomputer Center we take advantage of
X windows to support graphics directly from our Cray 2.  The NCSA
at Illinois has also jumped on the X bandwagon. It is very handy
to interactively pop up some raster or plots from the Cray, as opposed
to first transferring data to a workstation.

Ken Chin-Purcell                                 .........................
Minnesota Supercomputer Center                     aka   ken@msc.umn.edu
1200 Washinton Ave., Minneapolis, MN 55415       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

annala@neuro.usc.edu (A J Annala) (06/05/89)

In article <8906041702.AA17360@wj.msc.umn.edu> ken@UF.MSC.UMN.EDU writes:
>> I have heard rumors that the Cray at SDSC supports some version of X11.
>
>Cray Research supports X windows under Unicos (Cray unix).
>With Unicos 5.0 (released last month) X11R3 is supported.

An X11R2 library was just installed at SDSC.  However, the SDSC Cray X-MP/48
is running CTSS not UNICOS.  As a consequence, I have encountered a few small
problems porting X11 clients to the current SDSC Cray configuration.  As one
example, it would appear that communication protocol restrictions preclude the
building a new 256 pseudocolormap in one call.  You have to split up the call
into several smaller partial pseudocolormap transfers.  Better support will be
available when SDSC finishes testing UNICOS and releases it for general use
late this year/early next year.  Until that time, applications developed from
scratch on the cray will probably run ok.  But attempts to port applications
from other environments may be expected to encounter many small problems.

p.s.  The protocol employed by the X11R3 (SUN) server appears to be completely
      compatible with the X11R2 (Cray) library.