[comp.windows.x] Trouble with emacs

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (06/02/89)

	The problem is that the emacs client process and the X11 display
	server go compute-bound, apparently exchanging messages,

Yes, we've seen this, both under SunOS 3.4 and 4.0.1.  I kinda doubt it's a
problem in the OS.  It's very sporadic here, we haven't found a reliable way
to reproduce the problem, so we haven't really investigated.  But it is
annoying.

pinkas@hobbit.intel.com (Israel Pinkas ~) (06/06/89)

In article <8906021347.AA01790@expire.lcs.mit.edu> rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU writes:

>	The problem is that the emacs client process and the X11 display
>	server go compute-bound, apparently exchanging messages,
>
> Yes, we've seen this, both under SunOS 3.4 and 4.0.1.  I kinda doubt it's a
> problem in the OS.  It's very sporadic here, we haven't found a reliable way
> to reproduce the problem, so we haven't really investigated.  But it is
> annoying.

I posted about this a while ago.  I got a message from somebody that told
me to put in the following patch.  It appears to have eliminated the
problem under SunOS 4.0 and 4.0.1 on Sun 386i's when running both X10 and
X11.

*** sysdep.c.old        Mon Jun  5 13:21:49 1989
--- sysdep.c    Mon Jun  5 01:03:17 1989
***************
*** 584,587
  init_sigio ()
  {
  #ifdef FASYNC
    old_fcntl_flags = fcntl (0, F_GETFL, 0) & ~FASYNC;

--- 599,607 -----
  init_sigio ()
  {
+ #ifdef sun
+   setpgrp(0, getpgrp(0));
+ #endif
+
  #ifdef FASYNC
    old_fcntl_flags = fcntl (0, F_GETFL, 0) & ~FASYNC;

I'm sorry, I forget the name of the person that sent it to me.  Whoever you
are, thanks.

BTW, has anybody fixed the problem of lost events and keytrokes under
Ultrix.  (Specifically, Every version of DEC's X11 that I have seen loses
keys every once in a while, and beeps.  Occasionally Emacs crashes with a
complaint about lost events.  This has happened with both Ultrix 3.0 and
3.1, both test and production versions.)

-Israel Pinkas
--
Disclaimer: The above are my personal opinions, and in no way represent

UUCP:	{amdcad,decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel}!intelca!mipos3!cadev4!pinkas
ARPA:	pinkas%cadev4.intel.com@relay.cs.net
CSNET:	pinkas@cadev4.intel.com