[comp.windows.x] supressing auto-repeat

grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (05/31/89)

I asked this before, and never saw a response, so I'm reposting the question.

Does anyone know how to suppress auto-repeat within the context of a
single application? I have various accelerators which make no sense if you're
using auto-repeat.

--
Dirk Grunwald
Univ. of Illinois

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (05/31/89)

    Does anyone know how to suppress auto-repeat within the context of a
    single application?

The X protocol does not provide any support for this.  (And if you think
about the interactions with synchronous grabs, you'll see that providing
support would be hard.)  The best you can do is disable auto-repeat globally
for the specific keys (assuming your server actually supports that).

wasg@diomedes.rice.edu (Eric Salituro) (06/06/89)

In article <GRUNWALD.89May30174927@flute.cs.uiuc.edu> grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Does anyone know how to suppress auto-repeat within the context of a
>single application? I have various accelerators which make no sense if you're
>using auto-repeat.

I have a similar question, but sort of opposite. Is there a way to alter the delay
before auto-repeating keypresses? (lengthen or shorten?) I realize that I may have
to alter the source, but if someone can give a clue, it would help.

We are running X11R3 on a Sun 3.

This is not a .signature line...	Eric Salituro @ Rice University
					Houston TX 77251-1892
					(713) 527-8101 x2474
Life is like a metaphor.		INTERNET: wasg@rice.edu

ekberg@osage.csc.ti.COM (06/09/89)

   Date: 6 Jun 89 15:40:10 GMT
   From: diomedes!wasg@rice.edu  (Eric Salituro)
   Sender: xpert-request@expo.lcs.mit.edu

   In article <GRUNWALD.89May30174927@flute.cs.uiuc.edu>
   grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

   >Does anyone know how to suppress auto-repeat within the context of a
   >single application? I have various accelerators which make no sense
   >if you're using auto-repeat.

   I have a similar question, but sort of opposite. Is there a way to
   alter the delay before auto-repeating keypresses? (lengthen or
   shorten?) I realize that I may have to alter the source, but if
   someone can give a clue, it would help.

   We are running X11R3 on a Sun 3.

We just went through that last week at our site.  The only way to change
the autorepeat rate values is to change the server/ddx/sun/sun.h file.
There are two constants defined there:

#define AUTOREPEAT_INITIATE	(200)		/* milliseconds */
#define AUTOREPEAT_DELAY	(50)		/* milliseconds */

We changed the 200 to 500 which matches the value for a VT100.  Many
people at our site noted that 0.2 sec is too fast -- especially when
pressing the D key to delete mail messages.

After changing the sun.h file you will need to rebuild the server.  A
better approach, would be to add a switch to the server which would
allow a user to pass in a value for this when they start up the server.

I have been using this version of the server and am quite happy with the
autorepeat initiate setting.

  -- tom (aisle C-4L), ekberg@csc.ti.com

tom@ICASE.EDU (Tom Crockett) (06/09/89)

> *Excerpts from xpert: 8-Jun-89 supressing auto-repeat*
> *ekberg@osage.csc.ti.com (1617)*

> #define AUTOREPEAT_INITIATE   (200)           /* milliseconds */
> #define AUTOREPEAT_DELAY      (50)            /* milliseconds */

> We changed the 200 to 500 which matches the value for a VT100.  Many
> people at our site noted that 0.2 sec is too fast -- especially when
> pressing the D key to delete mail messages.

We're using values of 500 and 25 on our Sun 3/50s, which seems to work fine for
us.  I haven't had any complaints about autorepeat speeds using these values.

Tom Crockett

ICASE
Institute for Computer Applications in Science and Engineering

M.S. 132C                               e-mail:  tom@icase.edu
NASA Langley Research Center            phone:  (804) 864-2182
Hampton,  VA  23665-5225