Path:duke!decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!mp
Date:Sat, 26-Nov-83 14:25:09 EST
Organization:MIT, Cambridge, MA

I've received inquiries to connect up with 2 local sites.
They each have binary-only UNIX licenses (one runs VENIX, the other runs
EUNICE).  Two questions:
- is there anything I can do to prevent their uuxqt's from sending
  back annoying confirmation messages?  I don't even know if their
  uuxqt's will allow the "rnews" command.
- one of them needs support for vadic 3451 dialing.  Can this
  be hacked into their binary uucp?

	Mark

ka@hou3c.UUCP (Kenneth Almquist) (11/29/83)

Xfernews was designed to allow news to be transfered using vanilla
uucp.  Modifications to uucp such as the -z option and separate
subdirectories are unnecessary if you run xfernews.  Xfernews will
retransmit lost articles so it can be used with buggy uucp's.  The
code was posted to net.sources about a year ago.  I will repost it
if there is interest.
				Kenneth Almquist

gnu@sun.UUCP (John Gilmore) (11/30/83)

(1) uux -x supposedly shuts off the annoying confirmation messages.  If
their binary uux doesn't have it, they should complain to their
vendor.  (Meanwhile you, who sends them news, have to live with the
messages.  Maybe if their vendor is on the Usenet you should forward
the messages to them.)  We send news to a Fortune system (sdglist); I
believe it coredumps if you supply the -x flag.  Ahem, anyone
listening?

(2) It is often possible to run an "ASCII dialer" (modern modems which
dial on the same serial line where data is transferred) by including
the dialing sequence in the "login" part of the L.sys file entry.  I
have seen D.C. Hayes modems run that way and I bet you can do it for a
Vadic too.  Set up the device part of the L.sys entry as if it was a
hardwired line.  Look ma, no source code changes!

guy@rlgvax.UUCP (12/02/83)

The "-x" flag in "uux", as in most other components of UUCP, is a
debugging flag; you say "-xN" and all debugging messages of "severity"
less than N are printed to the standard output.  There is a "-z" flag
in the changes to UUCP supplied with B news which suppresses the
execution status mail message if the status is zero; there is also a
"-n" flag to suppress it entirely, and the "-n" flag is also in vanilla
Bell System V UUCP (all together now: "It's about time!").  Most UUCPs
out there from microbox vendors probably don't have "-z" or "-n", except
for ones offering a UUCP with the USENET changes (which are in the 4.2BSD
UUCP, so systems based on 4.2BSD should have it) or ones offering System
V (and not offering it as "we took V7 or S3 and put pieces of S5, not
including UUCP, into it).

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy