[comp.windows.x] Using twm

morreale@bierstadt.ucar.edu (Peter Morreale) (06/11/89)

Hello netlanders.   I recently became acquainted with X and I have a few
questions about some "undocumented features"  I have found.  (at least they
appear to be)

First of all I am using a SUN 3/60m diskless workstation with a SUN 4
server.  We are using twm for window management.  (version 1.2)

  1) After moving the pointer in/out of an open window a few times the
     text cursor no longer changes to the "hollow" box.  This seems to
     occur only in the client windows (Not the "Console window")
     Is this normal?

  2) When I start up X from the console, I get into an "infinite" loop
     in the *first*  window I access.  The loop consists of a series of
     "L2" keystrokes (something like ^[[193\ )  This is input into the
     window and I must hit either a <return> or ^D to stop the loop.
     Is this a local script going out of control?  Anybody have any ideas?

Finally (and this is the big mystery to me)

  3) How in the name of *bleep* does one set the Icon Geometry using twm.
     I've tried setting it from xterm,  but I can't seem to get it right.
     Note that I know how to set a default location in my .Xresources, but
     I have several clients that I would like to login into (and locate
     their icons) at start-up.

     All I can currently do now is pile the icons on top of each other.

As I am new to X I am also interested in Any documentation I can get my
hands on.  We will be consulting (for our users) on X and I have been assigned
to be the Xpert.  (I have my work cut out for me)  Any recommendations?

Thanks

Peter

Peter W. Morreale                 | Internet:  morreale@ncar.ucar.edu
Nat'l Center for Atmos.  Research | Bitnet:    morreale@ncario
P.O. Box 3000                     | UUCP:      ncar!morreale
Boulder CO.  80307                |

  (303) 497-1293

earle@MAHENDO.JPL.NASA.GOV (Greg Earle) (06/11/89)

In article <3405@ncar.ucar.edu> morreale@bierstadt.UCAR.EDU wrote:
>Hello netlanders.   I recently became acquainted with X and I have a few
>questions about some "undocumented features"  I have found.  (at least they
>appear to be)
>
>First of all I am using a SUN 3/60m diskless workstation with a SUN 4
>server.  We are using twm for window management.  (version 1.2)

(Ahem.  That's `Sun-3/60M' and `Sun-4', not `SUN'.  But I digress.)

>  2) When I start up X from the console, I get into an "infinite" loop
>     in the *first*  window I access.  The loop consists of a series of
>     "L2" keystrokes (something like ^[[193\ )  This is input into the
>     window and I must hit either a <return> or ^D to stop the loop.
>     Is this a local script going out of control?  Anybody have any ideas?

(Time to add this to the Canonical List of Most Frequently Asked X Questions)

Please do not attempt to adjust your television set.  Do not adjust the
vertical, or the horizontal.  Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.  Go
directly to your telephone and call the Sun US Answer Center (the 800
number) and request the latest version of the `General TTY' serial patch
tape.  Or (alternatively) install SunOS 4.0.3.  This problem has nothing
to do with X.  It is a problem with a specific version of the Sun tty
driver.

As far as your problem #1 goes, did you try setting `NoTitleFocus' in your
~/.twmrc file?  See if that cures it ... (just a guess)

	- Greg Earle
	  Sun Microsystems, Inc.
	  JPL on-site Software Support
	  earle@Sun.COM