[comp.windows.x] CGI for X11 wanted

kg@cadlab.UUCP (Klaus Gottheil) (06/06/89)

Does anyone know about a CGI implementation which is running
on top of X11, preferably X11R3 ? Thanks for any hint.

--
Klaus Gottheil (kg@cadlab.UUCP)
CADLAB

fkittred@bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge) (06/06/89)

In article <482@cadlab.cadlab.de> kg@cadlab.UUCP (Klaus Gottheil) writes:
>Does anyone know about a CGI implementation which is running
>on top of X11, preferably X11R3 ? Thanks for any hint.

HP's implementation of CGI is called Starbase.  In their latest release of
the X11 server, there is a Starbase support (called "sox11" for Starbase
on X11).  You can create a X11 window, and make Starbase calls to the
window.

HP's current X11 server is X11R2 + fixes + backing store.  Since the support
comes in the form of a binary library which is linked in, I think you would need
to buy an HP Unix system to get the support.

caveat:  I have spent the total of 2 days exploring Starbase on X11, so
         I am no expert.

>Klaus Gottheil (kg@cadlab.UUCP)
fletcher

Fletcher E. Kittredge  fkittred@bbn.com

chan@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Chan Benson) (06/13/89)

>>Does anyone know about a CGI implementation which is running
>>on top of X11, preferably X11R3 ? Thanks for any hint.
>
>HP's implementation of CGI is called Starbase.  In their latest release of
>the X11 server, there is a Starbase support (called "sox11" for Starbase
>on X11).  You can create a X11 window, and make Starbase calls to the
>window.

Just as a clarification: There are two ways of getting Starbase output
to an X window. One is to use the above-mentioned sox11 driver, which
translates Starbase calls into X requests. Thus this can work remotely
over the network to any other X11 server. The other way (available
with 6.5) is the X11/Starbase Merge which allows Starbase programs to
coordinate access to the display hardware with the X server. This is
faster and more complete than sox11, but cannot be done over the net.

				-- Chan Benson
				HP Fort Collins