[comp.windows.x] xgraph

egc@h.gp.cs.cmu.edu (eddie caplan) (10/06/87)

excuse the post, i couldn't get direct mailing to work.

i just ftp'ed xgraph here to cmu, and other than two things, the xgraph
package looks terrific.  you've saved us a lot of work:

1. the initialization of AllAttrs was clobbering the AllSets, leading to a
coredump later on.

2. the cursor "disappears" when moved into the xgraph windows.  it was ok if
ReverseVideo was set.

239c239
< 			       normPixel, bgPixel, GXcopy);
---
> 			       normPixel, bgPixel, GXxor);
368c368
< 				      normPixel, bgPixel, GXcopy);
---
> 				      normPixel, bgPixel, GXxor);
682c682
< 	    for (index = 0;  index < MAXSETS;  index++) {
---
> 	    for (index = 0;  index < MAXATTR;  index++) {

thanks much,
eddie

thewalt@ritz.cive.cmu.edu (Christopher R Thewalt) (10/07/87)

In article <1090@h.gp.cs.cmu.edu> egc@h.gp.cs.cmu.edu (eddie caplan) writes:

>2. the cursor "disappears" when moved into the xgraph windows.  it was ok if
>ReverseVideo was set.
>
>eddie

I noticed the same thing after moving from berkeley to cmu. Applications
that I recompiled here at cmu had the cursors the other way around from the
way they were at berkeley. Executables that I brought here worked fine.
In fact, my own code that I brought here had major differences in screen
appearance when using XMenu as well when recompiled. Sounds like different
libraries to me,
			Chris Thewalt
			thewalt@cive.ri.cmu.edu

caldara@Alliant.COM (Steve Caldara) (06/06/89)

I am currently using the xgraph program that was posted to comp.sources.x
a few months ago.  I can get the graphs to the screen but I've had no luck
getting hard copy.  The hardcopy selection in the xgraph window allows for
the generation of either postscript or hpgl files.  I have tried both with
no luck.  I am able to generate a postscript file on my mac, upload it
with kermit and print that on a QUME 800IIPS that we have on the network.
When I try to print the xgraph postscript file the same way (with the mac
laser prep) nothing happens.  When I try to lpr the xgraph postscript file
directly, nothing happens.  Recently I made an xgraph hpgl file and tried
to "cat" it to an hp plotter.  It printed out some of the text, but all of
the lines were screwy.  Has anybody succesfully gotten hardcopy from xgraph?
If so I sure would like to know.  Please respond via E-mail as I don't read
the net very often.

						-steve

P.S.  I am just a user of xgraph.  Someone in our software department did
      the port.  I am still interested in getting hardcopy to work, even
      if it means modifying/coding special routines in xgraph.

--
UUCP:    { linus | mit-eddie | suneast }!alliant!caldara
US mail: Alliant Computer Systems; One Monarch Dr.; Littleton, MA. 01460

ik@nova.laic.uucp (Ik Su Yoo) (06/09/89)

In article <3192@alliant.Alliant.COM> caldara@Alliant.COM (Steve Caldara) writes:
>I am currently using the xgraph program that was posted to comp.sources.x
>a few months ago.  I can get the graphs to the screen but I've had no luck

Can someone tell me where I can get a copy of xgraph? I've missed the
original posting.

Please post here or reply to lockheed@polya.stanford.edu. Thanks much.

						Ik

davidh@dent.Berkeley.EDU (David S. Harrison) (06/13/89)

Someone recently asked about the availability of xgraph for
X11.  For the benefit of those who missed the original announcement,
here is another copy.  Note that there will be no new submission
to comp.sources.x.  If you must get it through the mail,  talk
to a nearby site that archives comp.sources.x.

Xgraph for X11 is now available.  This program is a port of the
popular 2-dimensional plotting program orginally developed under
X10.  In almost all respects,  this program is compatible with
the older xgraph.

This program is NOT a widget.  Like its predecessor,  it is a
stand-alone program that accepts input in a graph-like format
and plots the data on an X11 screen.  Scatter plots and a limited
form of bar graph plotting is also possible.  Zooming in on regions
of a graph is supported.  This version also includes much improved
support for generating hardcopy graphs to Postscript printers
and HPGL plotters.

The source for the program is available through anonymous ftp to

	% ftp shambhala.Berkeley.EDU
	Name: anonymous
	Password: <anything non-null>
	ftp> cd pub
	ftp> binary
	ftp> get xgraph-11.tar.Z
	ftp> quit
	% uncompress xgraph-11.tar.Z
	% tar xf xgraph-11.tar

This will create a directory called xgraph-11.  In that directory
you will find a file called README.INSTALL that contains directions
for building the program.  The source has also been submitted to the
moderator of comp.sources.x in shar format.

Please send all bug reports, questions, comments or suggestions to
the electronic address below.

			David Harrison
			UC Berkeley Electronics Research Lab
			(davidh@ic.Berkeley.EDU, ...!ucbvax!ucbcad!davidh)